Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Has anyone here imported a Montreal from outside the country for it to be registered in California? If you have please PM me or post your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
No experience with the 'Republic of California' but I just noticed in the new 2015 'Sports Car Market Price Guide' under Zagato SZ (ES 30) there is a comment...

"In 2015, the first of these cars will be eligible for personal import into the USA-except CA. Look for prices to rise once that happens." I would not mind one in the garage at all...

While I love 'SCM' it is incomprehensible that they would rate the Montreal Investment Grade C; forecast 3 stars ($75-135K) with 3,925 built -the same as a Giulia Super ($25-35K) with 124,590 made, while say a Duetto is Investment Grade B; forecast 3 stars ($25-42K). While I like a nice S.S., it has nothing on a good Montreal:smile2:

Perhaps I see the individual trees and not the forest.

If you go to Bruce Taylor's Montreal site you will find many owners in California, hopefully some that you can contact.
The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website
Mark

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks both. I understand there are three hurdles/steps in CA.

One is the federal standards. Anything over 25 years old doesn't apply, so I am good on that.

The second is that California still requires a 1968 or later car to conform to EPA specs of Nov 15, 1972. They discourage importation by having just two "labs" that can do the work and then provide a letter that the DMV will want to see.

The third is smog checks, which will not be required on this car because of it's age.

So my unknown is the EPA certification and how easily or not a stock Montreal meets the 1972 standard. Has anyone gone through that process in california or elsewhere?

thanks. tj

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
California still requires a 1968 or later car to conform to EPA specs of Nov 15, 1972. They discourage importation by having just two "labs" that can do the work and then provide a letter that the DMV will want to see.
I wasn't aware this second hurdle existed, but read about it in that link to the DMV/CARB regulations that AlfaTango1 posted. So it sounds like cars built in the 1968 - 1975 era fall into this category, which would include any Montreal.

If someone here on the BB has imported a 1968 - 1975 vehicle into California, it would be great to hear their experiences. But my advice would be to find an expert, someone who does one of these a month. Not sure where you live in California, but might be useful to talk with a classic car dealer, such as Fantasy Junction or Symbolic Motors, and asking who they use or what their procedure. I'll bet there are consultants who may charge a few bucks, but can ensure that you don't spend the money to import the car and then find out you have a problem.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It sounds like your best bet would be to find a Montreal already 'on the road' in California that is for sale. You may have to pay a bit of a premium but that may be money well spent. I hope all goes well with your search!
Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@IRONBLOCK - that's what I am trying to assess, if the expense of certifying is prohibitive or not.

As I've learned more through the day today, anyone who imported a Montreal will have had to do the EPA certification in any state, so it is possible and I guess it wasn't cost prohibitive way back when values of the cars were much lower than todays values or they were all very irrational buyers.

maybe I should delete "california" out of the title of the thread.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I brought an a 1969 Berlina from Mid West about a year ago. Went to my Aaa office, verified the VIN, presented bill of sale with an out of state title and received Cali plates all within 1/2 hour. Bottom line, any pre 76 out of state car is ok to bring in - however my experience is limited to cars with prior US registration. I could only pressume that "freshly" imported pre 76 cars should not encounter any special problems with California registration as long as the import paperwork is in full legal compliance.

·
Richard Jemison
7,371 Posts
Solving the bureaucratic bullsh!?

If you send a bill of sale (notarized) on the car along with the registration and Tag fees to Vermont`s Motor Vehical Dept (Sic) you will get back a Vermont registration and Tag, regardless of your state of residence.
Then at your option you can have it changed to your State`s Tag/Title
Registration.

Research it!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
maybe I should delete "california" out of the title of the thread.
It seems Tirefrier had a similar experience to mine. I had the TX title from the previous long term (37 years) owner and a Bill of Sale. They looked at the Montreal Title and said okay $50 or so and I left. It took less than 15 minutes, including the wait. The car is 42 years old; nothing else was required or asked for. Later I went back and asked what it would cost me to have a new piece of paper on the car (title) and they wanted something like $700 which was declined.
Mark

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would go to DMV and ask if you could register a Montreal in California. I know that 1967 and earlier cars could be imported and registered in California, but I would ask about current regulations.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I would go to DMV and ask if you could register a Montreal in California. I know that 1967 and earlier cars could be imported and registered in California, but I would ask about current regulations.
Believe me, many of us have brought post '67 cars into Ca.
Even from Europe ! I did one '68 Super on German papers and '70 Giulia from its original owner in Italy.
Only had to have the VIN # verified before registration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I have one here I'm working on for the owner. He just recently [6 months ago] was in France, bought it there and had it shipped. I just asked him about importing to CA and said it was no problem because it was old enough. 1973.

Cheers,
Kurt

Import Auto Supply
Malki Auto Service
San Bernardino
909-889-9505

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Kurt. That's good to know. I've purchased a '73 Montreal, will probably be a while till is shows up on the west coast. EPA and DOT is no issue. Just the DMV registration to figure out. I'm planning to just show up with the DOT/EPA and import papers and play the pre '75 no smog required card at the counter

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rules Have Changed

California started enforcing the rule in June of 2014 so those of you who have brought a 1968-75 direct import into California, have any of you done it within the past year?

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's a pretty good discussion of the situation on the bring a trailer site. Do a search for a 1966 Lancia Fulvia Zagato, which I bought at auction about two months ago, and the topic was discussed in great length.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Importing to the "Republic" of California

There's a pretty good discussion of the situation on the bring a trailer site. Do a search for a 1966 Lancia Fulvia Zagato, which I bought at auction about two months ago, and the topic was discussed in great length.
This is the link to the conversation about the new more stringent enforcement in California from June 2014; it has to do with the improved safety standards mandated after 1968.

Scroll down to the comments area.

Link: Alloy 1966 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato | Bring a Trailer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts