Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was all set with the 73 Super I bought from the NL. Paperwork done, car picked up by the transporter and trailered over to the port ready for the long trip to California. And then this morning I was clued in to the lovely CA ARB regulations:

Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California

According to the wording here, cars from 68 to 74 appear to be non-registerable in CA for all practical purposes.

I have to think that I'm not the first one to attempt to import an Alfa of that vintage to the west coast. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the process?

I'm bummed and panicking at the same time... Should have done my homework better but I assumed I was safe since the car of that vintage is smog exempt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, how long ago was that? I don't know that this is a new regulation, but I may be wrong. Do you happen to remember what kind of paperwork you had to take with you to the DMV to get the car registered?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I read it the same way, what a bummer.

I didn't know that there was an importation issue within that date range, hopefully you can find a solution or a buyer outside CA.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
According to the wording here, cars from 68 to 74 appear to be non-registerable in CA for all practical purposes.
From the CARB site:

"This provision when written, was considered by the California legislature as a gradual phase-out of very dirty "non-collectable" types of imports, as this specific requirement was understood to become increasingly difficult to meet."

I was going to suggest that there might be an appeal process but apparently there isn't one. This rule raises all kinds of legal questions since it appears to be limited to 68-74 era cars but doesn't mention cars from later periods. It's now possible to import cars from 1990 without difficulty. The wording "gradual phase-out" is troubling because it implies a sliding scale. I wonder if they'll try to make it retroactive?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I brought 2 Giulia sedans into Calif. in 2006.
One was on Italian papers and this Amaranto one had German registration.
The only unusual thing I had to do was take them to a CHP office to have the VIN numbers verified.
They still have the original Carello headlights !

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Maybe Califa is cracking down on the rampant import of older unsafe and polluting cars? See this link from CVA-DMV -- LINK.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Could you register it in another state and then bring it into California?
This topic seems to be the flavor of the day. Repeating what I already posted in another thread:
A) it's still not an issue to register non- Ca car with an out of state title. Only requirement is the VIN verification. If you are AAA member just head down to your local office and get it done there as well as completing the registration
B) it is better to get an out of state title for a car that's FOB (fresh of the boat). Applying for registration in Vermont is being recommended by several members here as well as on other forums. Go to Vermont'sDMV (or MOT or...) site to get information. From what I read, you need to mail in application form with complete paperwork and fees to VT DMV and they will send you title and plates even if you are in another State.
C) if you are still too worried, shoot me a PM - I'm in the market for another cool Alfa...:laugh2:

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Find and read Vehicle Industry News VIN 2014-14 from the DMV, June 19, 2014. It sets out the rules and procedures, which I don't see how to get around.

Andrew

·
Registered
147 Posts
There are two early 70s Giulias that were mentioned in the "wanted alive" thread as part of a recent shipment to SF. When I went to see them last weekend, they were already registered and have their new CA plates sitting on the dashboards. This despite their pretty rough condition.
Don't know how they managed, but it's obviously doable.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Find and read Vehicle Industry News VIN 2014-14 from the DMV, June 19, 2014. It sets out the rules and procedures, which I don't see how to get around.

Andrew
It's posted in #8 above. Seems pretty tight. I have found that the folks in Podunk are not as bureaucratic, not as informed and more helpful than in Bigsnootycity.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few weeks back someone mentioned that the DMV has been re-thinking the 68-74 restriction on imported cars. Does anyone have recent experience with trying to register a car that falls into that category?

From what I'm told, all the paperwork for imported cars ends up getting sent to a special office in Sacramento so, most likely, it doesn't matter which DMV office the application gets filed in.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
No personal experience, but if you haven't done so, read DMV VIN 2014-4 (I think that's right, maybe 2014-14) on it.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
If this sticks and is applied as-written, it pretty much takes CA out of the vintage auto loop now back to 66 versus 75. Is that how you read it Andrew, others? I assume existing registered cars are grandfathered? Does anybody know why i the period apparently changed? If this is true, it takes a big piece of the vintage car market out of action. Interesting that there is a disconnect between the 68 of the CARB document versus the 66 of the others.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
This provision when written, was considered by the California legislature as a gradual phase-out of very dirty "non-collectable" types of imports.

Who determines what is collectable and not collectable?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
A bit off topic but related info (similar to the similar thread on GT's): it appears the CA crackdown is spreading to NV. Who will determine what a "classic" versus a "beater" is? Sometimes that's a fine line.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Who determines what is collectable and not collectable?
[/QUOTE]

Obviously, the state which has all the progressive resources to reach the kinds of expert opinions the rest of us should be morally obligated to accept without question. When the state acts in the interests of general good, individuals who raise questions are simply disloyal.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
I think it will be tough in CA for the average guy, for cars from out of state and country. For the non-average guy, I think it'll still be possible. Like the friend of a friend who just brought in two containers of Giulias and Lancias from Italy, he didn't have problems. He is a dealer, though that shouldn't matter in terms of what's acceptable to the DMV and what's not.

I was never interested in bringing in cars from out of the country, so I haven't paid that much attention. Not being able to bring in stuff from other states is unfortunate, but I'm not going to back my head against the wall. There's already a lot of nice stuff here to choose from, and I have more projects even now than makes sense. So I don't see a drought, as it were, in my future.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 20 Posts