Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 93 spider with 13K. She runs great but after driving for for approx. 10 to 15 min. it cuts out suddenly and completely and will not restart until it has sat for about an hour. I have only been able to duplicate this once in the garage. The car had no spark at the plugs until it sat for the usual amount of time. I have replaced the coil, but the problem continues. I hope someone can offer some suggestions. Of course this always seems to happen at when there is a lot of people around.:confused:
Thanks,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ciao Aldo,

got the same problem on my 1988 spider. When cold no problem as soon as warm it either stops or if purposly stopped will not re-sart until cold again. Also in my case no spark. Mine is equipped with Bosc Jetronic. Have also replaced coils with no joy. Last time, however, took a multimeter along my drive, and noticed that, measuring the impedance of the sensons on the clucth housing (mine has two bosch munber 0 261 210 002, one for the tdc and one for the spark) when engine cold got abt 1 kohm reading on both. Once stopped in the middle of the street with no spark, got no impedance at all on the lower sensor, which would lead me to believe that's the cause. Got my new sensor yesterday and will go for the next trial on the wend.

Stay tuned will report if problem now cured.

Rgds
Gianni

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
You need to check your ignition switch wiring connector under dash usually you have a bad connection that heats up or breaks contact.

Jump 12v power wire red wire to brown at connector and see if car will keep running.

See pages 40-18 Diagram B, 40-17 Diagram A in shop manual for Motronic wiring and 40-11 for sensors and senders wiring.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
exactly

You discribed my problem better than I did. Please keep me posted. Do you know if the Motronic bosch is set up with the same sensors?
Thanks Gianni
Will also recheck all my connections.
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure of the sensor used with Motronic. However when i ordered mine at Alfa dealer firstly i received the wrong one, (bigger in diameter and shorter, same kind of connector) which i was told is the one mounted on later model, which believe has Motronic.

Rgds
Gianni

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
Bosch Motronic RPM/Timing combo sensor is very similiar to Bosch 0261210047used on the 164 and mounts near front crank pulley. IAP lists same number 22757 for both Motronic Spider and 91-93 164. Whereas L-jetronic sensor goes in bell housing and reads flywheel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would also check the neg battery cable to body ground in the trunk. My 84 didn't stall while driving, but it would pull the same "i'm not gonna start until I've rested" crap! I tightened the ground, and knock on wood, hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Alfisto Steve said:
You need to check your ignition switch wiring connector under dash usually you have a bad connection that heats up or breaks contact.

Jump 12v power wire red wire to brown at connector and see if car will keep running.

See pages 40-18 Diagram B, 40-17 Diagram A in shop manual for Motronic wiring and 40-11 for sensors and senders wiring.

When I first got my 84 spider I had the same problem. It liked to stop in the middle of major intersections. This happened when it was hot out, and it would start intermittently. New ignition switch fixed it. At the time I had just bought the car, and had no idea what I was doing, so I had it done at the shop. Until I was able to get it replaced I was able to jump a connection under the steering column, and things worked fine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

could finally test the car last wend and with a new lower sensor on the bell housing my problem was cured. Car run much smoother as well with new sensor.

Rgds

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bravo Gianni,
Just replaced the crank reference sensor as you suggested, took her for a long test drive and no more problems. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts