Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

So up until last night, my daily driver for the last decade was a '99 Toyota Corolla. Before that it was an '86 Camry. I also briefly drove an '86 Regal and a '93 Corolla wagon. So, you could reasonably say that for most of my life, I never actually drove a car that had the least bit of driving excitement. (Actually with the Regal taking a corner in the rain or snow was very exciting...but that was because I was a teenager who enjoyed spinning around in circles.)

So, now that I'm older and wealthier and the Corolla passed the 200,000 mile mark, it was time to buy a new car. But, I couldn't stand the thought of another boring Toyota. But I still wanted reliability, longevity and good mpg's. It also had to be something that would be exciting and enjoyable to drive. Can't afford Jaguar, BMW or a Benz. My sister had a recent vintage VW that was a nightmare, so I ruled them out. Nearly every car that cuts me off on the highway is a Nissan (or BMW), so no, not joining that club. Honda? Boring as a Toyota. Ford? Fusion is nice, but they'll need another decade of quality cars before I trust them(Did I mention my sister had a Taurus, too?). GM? Pass. So, what's left?

Mazda. Maker of the Miata. The Vroom-Vroom company. The new Mazda 6 checked all the boxes I wanted checked. Great looking, good reliability, great standard features, excellent gas mileage, really well-reviewed...and the promise of driving excitement. It was certainly no Toyota.

So, I picked it up last night. And I really, really like it. It fast, beautiful and efficient and I'm very satisfied with my decision at this point. It is most definitely not a Toyota.

But, its not even close to as exciting as my '83 Spider that I just bought in June!

I didn't really expect them to be comparable given the half century in development between them and the fact that only one of them is truly a sports car.

But, the Alfa! Quanto sono fortunato! It's just so unbelievably fun to drive.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the Alfa is as much fun as I had when I was a kid and I would race my friends go kart on the dirt track his father built him through the woods behind his house. And I haven't even pushed the Alfa yet. It's still in its troubleshooting shakedown phase. And, living on Long Island, there aren't really any twisty roads around here. But, its still crazy fun.

So, I'm really spoiled now. I honestly can't imagine even a Ferrari, short of an F40, being any more exciting and enjoyable to drive. I love my Alfa.

What about you? Have you ever owned/driven a modern car that is as much fun as your Alfa?

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Ok, I'll bite on this thread!

My daily driver is a 2005 Mazda6 V6 and I love it. I have pondered trading it in and like the look of the new Mazda6 but don't like how its only available in a 4-banger. But I do read the reviews of it driving great, but I'd want more juice.

Yes, I love my Spider, especially since working out a couple bugs with it. I equally love working on it and sorting out the issues, especially when they come with notable gains.
But as much fun as it is to drive, I still like getting back into my Mazda and enjoying the smoother more luxurious ride.

As for other cars, last year I rented a Ferrari F430 for 1 hour for my Birthday, and it was the most fun I have ever had in a car (a little nerve racking at times too though).

As for future fun, I have a cousin with some money, and he's an original owner to an 88 Veloce. Every chance I get, I bring up the 4C, and maybe one day soon, he'll bite the bullet and grab one and we can relive our teenage years.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well my daily driver is a an early Miata with manual steering - I have had it for almost 20 years now - and to me it a great driver. It provides the reliability and most of the comfort of a modern driver - while it is still a great fun driver.

While I no longer own a Spider, I do own a couple of coupes - and the Miata is both more and less exciting than them. It is not as pretty, nor does it make that nice a noise, but it can be pushed harder and be enjoyed more when you really want to push it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a theory that peace on earth could be achieved if everyone owned an Alfa Romeo. I have owned British cars since I was a teen (I'm now 50) and they don't compare to the thrill I get bombing around in my Spider!

I do have to say that my 1997 Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo is an absolute blast to drive. It is just a beast that will lead you into all sorts of trouble! BTW, my Spider now sports Carello headlight covers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I had a 79 Scirocco that was as close to perfection as Chris defines it. I've had a Spider and it really didn't do much for me. I currently have a 164 and a 75 and they bring different things to the dance. The 75 really pushes my buttons tho in overall satisfaction while the 164 is for gobbling up the miles - well KM since I'm here in the motherland. I'd like to drive a Miata sometime. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'. Keep those Alfas Rollin!

Someone a lot smarter than me observed "It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."

BIL Lee treated himself to an '08 Vette and we went for a ride last week near York, PA. I'm visiting back east for a month.

The Vette was awesome on the straights and fun in the curves but could not be legally driven beyond 25% of it's massive potential. And w/o traction control engaged, it was a tail-happy, tire smoker. OK, maybe I'm jealous (guilty as charged) but he does not do track days either and it just seems to be a crime to own such a magnificent beast and have to keep it on such a short leash.

There is a 6 mile truck route to Virginia City, near my home in Carson City, that I can safely drive "pedal to the metal" for much of the road (NV 341) and enjoy the experience.

Alfa's rock!!

All the best alfabani and welcome to the family!

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Interesting post alfabani, our stories are similar, but from a different prospective.

When I bought my '88 Grad my daily driver was a 2009 Subaru Forester. The Forester was a respectable car in many respects, but certainly not an exciting car. The Alfa by comparison was sooooo exciting in so many ways. I salivated at every opportunity to drive the Alfa.

Then I traded the Subaru for a 2015 Mazda 6 and that really changed things for me.

To be honest, the Mazda 6 does everything better than the Alfa. It's faster, handles better, it's more comfortable, etc, etc, etc.

So now I don't drive the Alfa as much, and my heart doesn't sink if it looks like rain, but of course I still love my Alfa.

I'll never sell my Alfa, but it's role has changed for me. My Alfa is a special jewel that I take out on special occasions and of course I still appreciate all of it's special charms.

Now I'm considering restoring it to a higher level than I had previously thought about since I think it will ultimately have less miles put on it.

Either way I respect both cars.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can't argue with any of the previous posts. Daily driver is a 4WD Tacoma. Not exciting but I need it for work. Lots of fun off road. Previous daily was a 4 Runner. At 240K the clutch peddle snapped off the firewall. Thus the Tacoma. I love driving my Spider. It is a combination of the way she handles and feals. More than that is the sense of pride I get knowing that I brought her back from the dead (18 years in a barn, 4 years of labor). The only thing that is not working perfectly on her is the cigerette lighter. (I have one in a box but don't need it) I had not worked on a car in 30 years so it was a lot to take on. Maybe that is why I bought a 30 year old car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts