Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok feeling like a total idiot here....

how does one remove the rear view mirror in a 87 milly plat with a sunroof?(only thing keeping the headliner in at this point)

what are the 2 relays? under the back seat on the drivers side for..and whats with the "jaeger" box next to them?(thinking thats the converter for the speedo)

what are the 3 hard plastic lines on the floor for?(2 black 1 smaller clear)..im assumeing its for fuel vapor.....

the drip rail moldings are they only held on by pop rivets or am i not seeing something?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
ok feeling like a total idiot here....
Just thought I'd leave this bit in :rolleyes:

how does one remove the rear view mirror in a 87 milly plat with a sunroof?(only thing keeping the headliner in at this point)
Grab it by the stem and pull. It's held in by two spring loaded pins. See pic. Although the pic is of a 164 mirror it uses the same (but a weaker version of) mechanism. There are then two screws in the base holding the headlining.

what are the 2 relays? under the back seat on the drivers side for..and whats with the "jaeger" box next to them?(thinking thats the converter for the speedo)
The relays I don't have but I think one is the rear demister. The Jaeger box cleans up and amplifies the signal from the speedo sender. Note, it does nothing related to diff ratios, thats all in the speedo.

what are the 3 hard plastic lines on the floor for?(2 black 1 smaller clear)..im assumeing its for fuel vapor.....
Hmm, never had the carpet out.

the drip rail moldings are they only held on by pop rivets or am i not seeing something?
I believe there are screws hidden under the door seals or thereabouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm ok ..i pulled on it hard enuf that i thought i was about to break it...after breaking 3 craftsman allen sockets and pretzleing 2 wrenches trying to get the door hinge bolts out...(and only actualy getting 4 out befor i gave up and drilled the bolts out)

hmm rear defrost..yeah i can belive that one one of the relays...so whats the other one for?....STUPID spot for relays IMO...

i looked the drip rail moldings over and over and all i see is pop rivets thats why i figured i had to be missing something

only feeling like an idiot cause i cant figure it out lol...not the first car ive had my hands into...it way WAY WAY down the list...useualy i can figure this stuff out by just looking at it

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,073 Posts
One of the relays under the rear seat is for the rear defroster, the other is for the heated side mirrors. There's a second relay for the side mirrors in the fusebox as well.

That mirror can be a real b-tch to remove. I actually broke mine pulling it out it was so stuck. You might want to do what I did once you get it out and replace the spring on the base with a slightly weaker one - It'll make the job easier the next time.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heated mirrors?!?!?! your kidding right?...i didnt think it had heated mirrors

if i break it i break it no biggy its not like im going to use it..just means i cant give it to someone who might need it....did manage to make it wiggle some....but watching the windshield move as im pulling on the thing is a little worrying

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,073 Posts
heated mirrors?!?!?! your kidding right?...i didnt think it had heated mirrors
Nope, no joke. They were standard on the platinum, I believe.

I have one on my gold as well because I replaced the original one with a mirror from a platinum (because the old mirror was shot - not to get the heat feature!). That's how I know about the relays...I had to add the two relays to get it working.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
soooo what turns them on...i didnt see a switch for it....certainly useless on the west coast LOL

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same struggle with the mirror, and after two days of contemplating i decided it needed to be removed at all costs... unfortunately for me the cost was pain. i pulled at it so hard that when it finally came out i hit myself in the face... anyway, it came out in one piece and was mucu easier to put in than remove. If i remember correctly, the pins that hold it in are nearly 10mm in diameter and the spring was really overkill for the job

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The two black ones are fuel:
- fuel delivery line (pump to engine), and
- fuel return line (engine to tank).
The clear one is a fuel vapor line.
Jes

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the same struggle with the mirror, and after two days of contemplating i decided it needed to be removed at all costs... unfortunately for me the cost was pain. i pulled at it so hard that when it finally came out i hit myself in the face... anyway, it came out in one piece and was mucu easier to put in than remove. If i remember correctly, the pins that hold it in are nearly 10mm in diameter and the spring was really overkill for the job
Overkill alright!
Try getting the b*start back in! Lots of cursing and swearing is required.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i broke it...go figure..that spring isnt overkill its just wrong

got the upper drip rails off and they were poprivited...but im stumped on the rear side roof moldings and cant for the life of me figure out how to get them off

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you're talking about the panels on the C pillars, be careful with these. They bend easily. If I remember correctly, there are 3 fasteners holding these on and a couple of large pools of adhesive. I broke several of the fasteners and put them back on with the adhesive. Just go bit by bit with wedges of some sort and put even pressure on it. Don't pull from one end or the other.

The rear view mirror........... I had problems with mine too. Mine was in so tight that a groove had worn in the pin and wouldn't slide past the bracket. Dremeled it down smooth after removal and put a liberal amount of grease on it for the next removal.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah im talking the rear c pillar units...like to get em off without trashing em but just cant seem to get em...i found 2 of the pin area's your talking about by wedging my hand up into the trunk after pulling the rear glass

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I fought that rear view mirror for a half hour trying to figure out how to press it back in place. Finally I put a small squirt of spray lube (WD-40) on each pin and it snapped back in instantly. In fact I pressed on it hard several more times 'cause I just couldn't believe it went in that easy after fighting with it so long and so hard. But it's in, and it went in easy after lubing it lightly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts