Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main fuel pump makes a humming noise in my 82 spider. After replacing the fuel filter it still hums. If I drive the car for long periods of time (1 hour or more) and it is warm the car will chug at me. Meaning when I accelerate on the gas my car feels as if fuel is being cut off. It chugs at me. it is hard to describe. Regardless, I need to know...Should I purchase a new fuel pump? If so where should I look into gettings one. Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
612 Posts
hmm.. I`ve got the same thing... especially when im reving above 4k durning gear changes. Im going to visit local junkyard, to scavenge some volvo pump, and will try to put that in my alfa.
though my alfa has 2 fuel pumps, one in tank (el-cheapo) and one under the car, (I did replaced mine in-tank one, but it didnt help)
and if you need a new fuel pump, you can try IAP or your local Advane Auto Parts store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, replacing the in-tank pump is definately not on my radar. I am concerned with this main pump. IAP sells some 300 dollar bosch and I am not about to spend that. Advanced auto parts I believe has a universal sorta one. hmmm. Maybe i'll go pick one up tomorrow morning.

·
Administrator
16,341 Posts
BB member Tifosi was having fuel supply problems. he finally tracked it down to a faulty fuel hose. It had collapsed internally restricting fuel delivery.

Once he replaced the defective hose, he noticed the fuel pump was so quiet he thought it wasn't working!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I wouldn't disregard the in-tank pump. A bad in-tank pump can cause the main pump to make the noise you are describing. The main pump was not designed to draw fuel up from the supply line. Therefore, a dead tank pump will overwork the main pump just like a flow restriction.

Even if your main pump is on its death bed, a bad tank pump could be the root cause. If this is the case, then your new main pump will end up having a very short life indeed.

Besides, the tank pump is a very easy part to test. Just run a lenth of fuel hose from the tank pump's outlet into a container, & have someone crank the car. You should see fuel flow from the tank pump very quickly after cranking starts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does an 82 spider even have a tank pump, news to me. I have had a similar experience however. After driving the car for a while ( more than 10 miles ) the car would start to cut out. What I discovered was that sediment either from the tank or from within the first filter would accumulate in that coarse filter restricting the flow of fuel to the engine. Even after sitting for just a minute or two would allow the filter to clear itself until pressure would push the foriegn material back up until blockage would return. A noisy pump is not necessarily a sign of failure or diminished performance/pressure. Its actually kind of reassuring when you think of it. If you do suspect the pump a bench test is easy even without gauges and all. Use a bucket and water even it should shoot out a pretty good stream and prime itself easily. Use your gut instincts, or invest in a test kit for absolute values. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
To answer Alfamatty's question, yes, an '82 does have an in-tank supply pump. This change was made around '78 or '79, & I believe some cars around that time were retrofitted.

When the in-tank pump is removed, it is a good opportunity to inspect the gas tank for rust & sediment. Unfortunately, these cars are getting to the age that it is not uncommon for us to have to completely refurbish fuel systems from tank to injector & everything in between. The good news is that once this is done, you end up with a car that is pretty darn reliable.

If/when you replace the in-tank pump, do not forget to replace the filter screen that mounts to the bottom of the pump. It is very common for me to pull an in-tank pump & find the filter screen gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts