Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess where I left this screw, guess where it ended up and guess how it became pulvarised.

Screw.jpg

Off comes the head. Thankfully only the valve, valve seat and value guide were damaged in the number 4 cylinder. Still the price I'm quoted for repair is $2000. This is too high I think. Sometimes I just hate myself.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Guess where I left this screw, guess where it ended up and guess how it became pulvarised.

View attachment 200904

Off comes the head. Thankfully only the valve, valve seat and value guide were damaged in the number 4 cylinder. Still the price I'm quoted for repair is $2000. This is too high I think. Sometimes I just hate myself.
Don't beat yourself up too much. I haven't done it but I suspect that if you did a search using "idiot", you'd hit a bonanza. I ignored a slight "pinging" sound for too long until the cam on the exhaust side stopped rotating while I was doing about 70mph. In a split second, zero compression, lots of white smoke, valves embedded in piston heads-4K (US$) later I have a very nice engine.

One of the other great things about this BB (besides the advice you get about how to do things right) is the sympathy and empathy when things don't go so well. We've all been there. Hope you get your car back in order soon.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I give up. It doesn't look like a ALFA screw. What did you do, sheet metal screw you air plenum on to your carbs?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Stuff happens as they say. You'll undoubtedly fix a lot of other things and end up well ahead of the game. That's how you have to look at these kinds of things!

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sympathy goes a long way and is very much appreciated, thank you!

It happened thus: I had the air filter assesmbley removed so that I could easily attach a relay to the side wall of the engine bay. I placed a small screw on the bottom of the air intake box while I was working and I obviously forgot about it and left it there. It didn't take too long for it to find its way into the engine. I think I limited the damage by stopping the car immediatley upon signs of trouble - it made a terrible noise. I think this at least prevented the piston and liners from becomming damaged. It did scratch up the combustion chamber somewhat though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is the joy of wrenching on old cars! You will be able to swap this story over a pint years down the road. I have made a number of stupid and expensive mistakes over the years.

The repair price seems high. The head work should only be a couple hundred dollars, though if you're having someone else do the work labor adds up quick.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Registered
816 Posts
Alfa repair

Hi
Life has presented you with a challenge!! Go for it!!! 40 years ago, I bought my first Alfa and quickly realized that it was suffering from a blown head gasket. The dealer wanted $$$ which I couldn't afford. I had worked on cars before, but was afraid of the twin cam engine. A friend offered to help, so we went to the dealer, bought a gasket set and took it apart. It took all day Saturday, but when we were finished, it ran and I had broken the mystique of working on exotic cars. I ended up opening an Alfa repair shop a few years later.
You need a few tools, some common sense, probably a good friend and a knowledgeable machine shop.
If you're not familiar with all the procedures, I can walk you through it. Or there are many knowledgeable people here on the BB, who have done this sort of thing before.
Keith G.
Alfas Unlimited
CT, USA

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Still the price I'm quoted for repair is $2000.
:eek: Khrist - for that $$$ I'd try taking it apart a do the job myself. But what do I know besides being tight with a buck :rolleyes:

ps. :confused:then again, maybe the price includes a complete engine rebuild:)

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Hey, you've joined a very elite group. Life sucks many times, but only a few of us are actually screwed!

Congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood.

:D

Robert

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
We're all idiots and we've all learned "the hardway" in one way or the other. At least now you have an excuse to get in there and get to know her on a whole new level:)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Idiot? I think not.

An Idiot is a person having a mental age at or below that of a three year old.
I think a lot of us (YES ME TO) are Morons . A person having a mental age of a 7 to 12 year old .

I am afraid you may be a Gear Head . I found this online definition . :eek:

Any of a group of psychotic disorders usually characterized by withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disturbances. Gear Headedness is associated with motor oil imbalances in the brain and may have an underlying genetic cause.
BTW that is the definition of Schizophrenia with dopamine changed to motor oil.
Kind of scary how well it describes us. By us I mean car guys.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Well, this just happened to a motor I recently built for a buddy. And the cost to repair is every bit of $2,000 USD. You can remove the head but what are you going to do then? The valves/seats/guides will all need to be replaced. The piston will need to be removed in order to inspect the rings and skirt. It is a lot of work however you cut it...

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
I'm just glad the tranlation from petrolhead to gearhead is not a literal one, gas head just ain't right.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You can remove the head but what are you going to do then?
Well, I can tell you what I did when this moron dropped a nut into the number 3 intake and didn't know it until too late. I pulled the head and took it to a shop for the necessary repair, then reinstalled it.

The cylinder wall got scratched, but not enough to be a problem. That engine stayed in the car and ran great for another 10 years. It only came out to install a 2L.

The lack of a garage may be the main issue here. WA-Alfa, can you put the word out in your area that you're looking for a friendly Alfista who'll loan you garage space?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Aren't there a couple US suppliers that do exchange fully rebuilt heads for around $700 or so? Only problem is shipping to Aus is $$$

1 - 18 of 18 Posts