Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TO: EVERYONE:

REMEMBER THESE NAMES WHENYOU ENTER THE VOTING BOOTH. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America 's Official Language June 6, 2007

On Wed, 6 June 2007 23:35:23 -0500, "Colonel Harry Riley USA ret" wrote:

Senators,
Your vote against an amendment to the Immigration Bill 1348, to make English America's official language is astounding. On D-Day no less when we honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock character and principles of America . I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal aliens.

I don't much care where you come from, what your religion is, whether you're black, white or some other color, male or female, democrat, republican or independent, but I do care when you're a United States Senator, representing citizens ofAmerica and vote against English as the official language of the United States

Your vote reflects betrayal, political surrender, violates your pledge of allegiance, dishonors historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United States Senator... impeachment, recall, or other appropriate action is warranted.

Worse, 4 of you voting against English as America 's official language are presidential candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd, and Senator Obama.

Those 4 Senators vying to lead America but won't or don't have the courage to cast a vote in favor of English as America's official language when 91% of American citizens want English officially designated as our language.
This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as political hacks... unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualified to serve as President of the United States.

If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a back-lash so stunning it will literally rock you out of your panties... and preferably, totally out of the United States Senate.

The entire immigration bill is a farce... your action only confirms this really isn't about America ; it's about self-serving politics... despicable at best.
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous

The following senators voted against making English the official language of America :
Akaka (D-HI)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT) Wants to be President?
Domenici (R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate seat...
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI) Not unusual for him
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA) Wanted to be President
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT) Disappointment here.....
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President?
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV) Senate Majority Leader
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-M)

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged."

~ President Abraham Lincoln " Amen "

Please forward to as many people as you know. WE NEED THIS INFORMATION PASSED ON TO EVERY RED-BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
TO: EVERYONE:

REMEMBER THESE NAMES WHENYOU ENTER THE VOTING BOOTH. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America 's Official Language June 6, 2007

On Wed, 6 June 2007 23:35:23 -0500, "Colonel Harry Riley USA ret" wrote:

Senators,
Your vote against an amendment to the Immigration Bill 1348, to make English America's official language is astounding. On D-Day no less when we honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock character and principles of America . I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal aliens.

I don't much care where you come from, what your religion is, whether you're black, white or some other color, male or female, democrat, republican or independent, but I do care when you're a United States Senator, representing citizens ofAmerica and vote against English as the official language of the United States

Your vote reflects betrayal, political surrender, violates your pledge of allegiance, dishonors historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United States Senator... impeachment, recall, or other appropriate action is warranted.

Worse, 4 of you voting against English as America 's official language are presidential candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd, and Senator Obama.

Those 4 Senators vying to lead America but won't or don't have the courage to cast a vote in favor of English as America's official language when 91% of American citizens want English officially designated as our language.
This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as political hacks... unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualified to serve as President of the United States.

If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a back-lash so stunning it will literally rock you out of your panties... and preferably, totally out of the United States Senate.

The entire immigration bill is a farce... your action only confirms this really isn't about America ; it's about self-serving politics... despicable at best.
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous

The following senators voted against making English the official language of America :
Akaka (D-HI)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT) Wants to be President?
Domenici (R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate seat...
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI) Not unusual for him
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA) Wanted to be President
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT) Disappointment here.....
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President?
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV) Senate Majority Leader
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-M)

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged."

~ President Abraham Lincoln " Amen "

Please forward to as many people as you know. WE NEED THIS INFORMATION PASSED ON TO EVERY RED-BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!!!
Hold the ****ing phone, let me get this straight. You're saying that thirty three senators should be "arrested, exiled or hanged" because they voted against something you agree with?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
This is every bit as important as a constitutional amendment to outlaw burning the American flag!!!

Um, did I miss some great crisis with our use of the English language? I'm just guessing now, but I'll bet that our service personnel serving in Iraq and Afghanistan aren't having their morale damaged because Congress isn't voting for English as our "official" language. Call me crazy, but I suspect they feel more undermined by the lack of hardened Humvees. But, as Col. Riley (Ret.) correctly suggests, never argue with an idiot...

·
Registered
936 Posts
1. the United States of America is a nation of immigrants from many, many places. our past acceptance of outsiders is one of the founding principles of this once great nation.

2. we declared our independance from England a looong time ago. why is it so important that their language be the law ? because you speak it and are afraid of words you don't understand ?

3. why does there need to be a law declaring everyone MUST speak one particular language ? as it is, immigrants NEED to learn a certain amount of english anyway, just to funtion in society here.

if i were to move to another country, i would learn the principal language out of necessity. i don't need a law for that.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have received a number of PMs on this subject, so here is my personal stance:

I have no idea why my position "offends" any of you. The law is the law, and violators, IMO, should be deported.

I am also 100% against NAFTA, which I suppose some of you supported.

I have no desire to take responsibility for ANYONE but myself. IMO, people should be 100% responsible for themselves!

Not to offend any of you, but are you on the side of illegals because you are a conservative, and it financially benefits you; because you are a bleeding heart liberal; or is it because of personal religious beliefs?

I guess I disagree with most of you on this one.

In case any of you are unaware, I am also a VEHEMENTLY atheist, to the point of being ANTI-theistic. To me, the idea of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent "sky fairy" is patently absurd! Teaching over 20 years Theoretical Physics at the post-graduate level has reinforced my personal beliefs.

Of course, people are free to believe whatever they wish...doesn't make it true though....I'll take empirical evidence over faith any day of the week...

Stu

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. the United States of America is a nation of immigrants from many, many places. our past acceptance of outsiders is one of the founding principles of this once great nation.

2. we declared our independance from England a looong time ago. why is it so important that their language be the law ? because you speak it and are afraid of words you don't understand ?

3. why does there need to be a law declaring everyone MUST speak one particular language ? as it is, immigrants NEED to learn a certain amount of english anyway, just to funtion in society here.

if i were to move to another country, i would learn the principal language out of necessity. i don't need a law for that.

Maybe YOU would learn the language of whatever country you went to, but MANY, if not most illegals here in the US REFUSE to do so.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hold the ****ing phone, let me get this straight. You're saying that thirty three senators should be "arrested, exiled or hanged" because they voted against something you agree with?
Those are Colonel Harry Riley's words; not mine. I AGREE with him as to arresting ANYONE who helps illegals. It is aiding and abetting a CRIMINAL action. What do you not understand about the word ILLEGAL???!!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Those are Colonel Harry Riley's words; not mine. I AGREE with him as to arresting ANYONE who helps illegals. It is aiding and abetting a CRIMINAL action. What do you not understand about the word ILLEGAL???!!!
Seems to me like YOU don't understand the difference between the two issues. Your original post was about making English the official language of the U.S., now you're talking about illegal immigration? What are you playing at here?

I'm an atheist as well. I fail to see the relation to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
What I don't understand is your conflation of "illegal aliens" with "official English." Would such a law not apply equally to legal immigrants? Would it be awkward to point out that we still permit legal immigration without an English test? Or do you oppose legal immigration by anyone who doesn't speak English well enough to suit you and Col. Riley (Ret.)?

And finally, why post Col. Riley's diatribe in its entirety and then hedge that they're his words--not yours--when challenged on the ideas?

·
Registered
503 Posts
In Tennessee we have a large population of illegal imigrants, alot of them are nice hard working people just tryng to better themselves, but i still feel that they came here illegaly and should be deported, they cause a strain on out health care system, which sucks already do they do this intentionaly i am not sure but it hurts tax paying citizens. I have a mexican coworker that came here legally and it was alot of work and money, he dosen't even like the illegals because why should they come here for free when he worked so hard to be an american. My family came here legally after WWII for fighing for the allies we came from france and england, my grandparents earned there rights to come here, and part of comming here is to embrace the amercian ways (the moral ones) and be loyal to your country

thanks and have a blessed day

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:confused:Something I certainly don't have problem with:). Please excuse me while I get the phone.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

concordamos

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What I don't understand is your conflation of "illegal aliens" with "official English." Would such a law not apply equally to legal immigrants? Would it be awkward to point out that we still permit legal immigration without an English test? Or do you oppose legal immigration by anyone who doesn't speak English well enough to suit you and Col. Riley (Ret.)?

And finally, why post Col. Riley's diatribe in its entirety and then hedge that they're his words--not yours--when challenged on the ideas?
Yes, I think all people who come to the US and plan to become permanent residents or citizens should have to speak English, or be required by law to take courses before they can become US citizens.

I am very tired of having to deal with those who REFUSE to speak English and think they are "entitled" to speak whatever lanaguage they choose, and make Americans learn THEIR language in order to communicate.

Where I live now it's NOT just the Hispanics that refuse to learn and speak English; it's a great percentage of the Thai and Vietnamese, and many of the people from the old "Soviet Union" that expect me to speak THEIR language!

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In Tennessee we have a large population of illegal imigrants, alot of them are nice hard working people just tryng to better themselves, but i still feel that they came here illegaly and should be deported, they cause a strain on out health care system, which sucks already do they do this intentionaly i am not sure but it hurts tax paying citizens. I have a mexican coworker that came here legally and it was alot of work and money, he dosen't even like the illegals because why should they come here for free when he worked so hard to be an american. My family came here legally after WWII for fighing for the allies we came from france and england, my grandparents earned there rights to come here, and part of comming here is to embrace the amercian ways (the moral ones) and be loyal to your country

thanks and have a blessed day

I agree with your post.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I am very tired of having to deal with those who REFUSE to speak English and think they are "entitled" to speak whatever lanaguage they choose, and make Americans learn THEIR language in order to communicate.

Try explaining that to these guys .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Yes, I think all people who come to the US and plan to become permanent residents or citizens should have to speak English, or be required by law to take courses before they can become US citizens.
Good thing that didn't apply to the ancestors of 90% of the people on this BB. Would that law have worked for yours? What a great country this was before we let in all those Italians and Germans and Poles and Slovaks and Russians and Greeks and Chinese and all those other English-challenged types!

I am very tired of having to deal with those who REFUSE to speak English and think they are "entitled" to speak whatever lanaguage they choose, and make Americans learn THEIR language in order to communicate..
First, what makes you think "they're" not American citizens too? Did you ask to check their papers? Second, they are entitled to speak whatever language they want. Just as you're entitled to choose not to communicate with them if they refuse to speak to you in English.

Where I live now it's NOT just the Hispanics that refuse to learn and speak English; it's a great percentage of the Thai and Vietnamese, and many of the people from the old "Soviet Union" that expect me to speak THEIR language!
Who "expects" you to speak their language? What makes you think "they" care enough about you to want you to speak their language? I live in the city with probably the highest concentration of Russian speakers in the US. The signage in the elevator at City Hall is in English and Russian; every time I ride it I get to practice saying "do not panic; please use the emergency phone" in Russian. I don't feel that this in any way threatens the use of the English language. Your fundamental rights aren't being eroded by someone from "the Soviet Union" (probably a Commie, too!) speaking Russian. And in the unlikely event that they try to engage you in the conversation, just say "nyet". It doesn't take a law.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I somehow thought Alfas only had wingnuts on the tops of Webers. Never saw one on the steering wheel.

I really hate to see the politicization of the board. Nothing constructive will come of this and it will foster hostility based on the perceived political stance of others.

This is a nation of immigrants. There have always been 'ghettos' of those 1st generation immigrants who never grasped the English language. I'm sure many members have heard of their grandparents from non english speaking families who only spoke their native tongue.

I know of others, including mine, who never taught their children another language because they wanted their kids to be -real- Americans. Though I can speak Spanish now, I have only learned it on the street. I never did learn German but I would have loved to learn both as a child.

I have many relatives, including my wife, who don't speak English but have raised good kids and worked very hard to make them good citizens. Try working two minimum wage jobs, raising a family and then make time for school to learn the 'Official' language.

At any rate, please let this thread go. Absolutely nothing good will come of this discussion here. There are many other, more appropriate forums.

LETS HAVE FUN!!

1 - 20 of 297 Posts