Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a query about the ignition timing on my S3 spider. I can only see one timing mark on the pulley at the front. I have set the timing by setting it to fire about 5 degrees before this mark hits the mark on the block (using a strobe, revs about 1500) is this correct? If I accelerate gently the car pulls fine but if I try and accelerate quickly car feels as if it is being held back.

Also it seems to be missing, not all the time though. Using the timing light, cyliners 2,3 & 4 seem regular but on No 1 the light sometimes only fires sporadically. This also makes setting the timing difficult. I have checked leads and points etc, all seems ok and it only happens on no1 lead. Although there is a vacum advance on the distributor this is not fed and I can't see where anything is missing. It's an original Bosch distributor.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
In the USA our S3 Spiders have L-jetronic FI & ignition (computer controlled). What does your S3 Spider have?

Usually the Alfa pulley will have 2 or 3 marks. P is TDC, F is ignition timing (typically at idle speed - 900-1000 rpm) and M is for maximum advance. The L-jet timing is computer controlled and not adjustable. (set & forget)

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts