Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled out the old ignition switch and was ready to install the new one but while taking out the old one, I had to disconnect an alarm system (which was uninstalled and taken out of the car). Problem is, I don't have any wire to connect to the green wire. Where did the green wire come from? When I have my head under the dash, there is a jumble of modified wires,UGH. I need to find what connects to the green wire.. help!
Thanks - Cris

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've searched hi and lo and have come to the conclusion that the green wire from the new ignition tumbler is unused on my car (1981). If any one can correct me let me know.
THanks - Cris

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I've searched hi and lo and have come to the conclusion that the green wire from the new ignition tumbler is unused on my car (1981).
Correct.

Off the top of my head, the four wire ignition switches have;

red wire - terminal #30 - hot input
brown - terminal #15/54 - switched output
black - terminal #50 - starter
green - terminal #16 - coil positive

The green wire is for the ballast resistor bypass circuit. Since your 81 has electronic ignition without an external ballast resistor, this circuit is not used.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Is the switch a new one from International Auto? If so, I had previously had an issue in which the terminals are very differnet from an original ALfa switch. They are modified Fiat switches and need a bit of rewiring to work as they should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts