Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tues, I changed out the starter to send Andrew back the one he lent me. I backed out of the greenhouse and shut it off. The alternator light stayed on with the key off. I turned the key several times, but the light stayed on. I started it up and turned the key off and it kept running! I stopped it by letting the clutch out with my foot on the brake. After that, it started and stopped without any problem. I know this is going to come back to bite me. Does it sound like the ignition switch to you?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I am assuming this is the Berlina? Sounds like the switch to me, as there's not much else going on.....

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
In similar cases involving the starter not shutting off it is a feedback loop involving the cold-start solenoid, but your car has the Spica removed. I'd say ignition switch. The electrical switch on the back of the ignition switch comes off with a circlip or two screws, depending on the type (Sipea or Bosch). You don't need to remove the whole ignition switch. I have some extra Sipea type.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do these switches have an accessory position. If so, mine has never worked.

After the trip to CA, my points had closed up. I just ordered Hot Spark to replace the points.

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
No. Has off, on, and start (spring-loaded to go back return to on automatically). That's it. Alfas of this era don't need accessory setting; virtually everything works without the key anyway.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An interesting thing tonight. I was gently pushing up on the wires behind the fuse box and the ignition started working normally. I think a lot of my electrical problems will go away when I get around to installing the Painless fuse box I bought to get rid of those old style fuses. The Painless one uses the spade fuses, but the advantage will be the rewire of the fuse box and adding relays.

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
That's kinda scary...

Amazing/lucky you didn't have trouble on your lengthy trip. Congrats. How many miles did you put on it?

Andrew

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My speedometer cable is/was broken, so I don't know the exact mileage for the trip. MapQuest says about 900 one way from my place to Fellini's via I-5. One the way down we took I-5 to Corvalis, OR, then went down to OR coast on 101 and went to Scott Valley near Santa Cruz. We came back up for the 100 mile run. On the way back we did some of the Dry Creek and Russian River area, took 128 to the coast. We did the CA, OR coast and 101 around the Olympic Pennicula in WA to Port Angeles. Took the Port Towsen ferry and Chuckanut Drive home. We weren't on I-5 at all coming back. We must have logged 2200 miles total, maybe more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts