Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone, been having some issues with my 89 spider, got it all fixed and go to start it and ignition switch stuck in start position won’t go any further to start the car. Anybody experienced this and any advice as to trying to fix original switch or if needs replace. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a recent issue similar to that. Will the key turn back, or is it just locked in place? Mine was locked in place. I removed the ignition switch and could figure out the problem (some wear on one of the moving parts of the mechanical switch), but could not resolve, so I replaced the entire switch.
Thanks, The key turns back and can be removed. From start position won’t turn any further to crank starter. Also, although not sure, Key may need to go farther in to slot. Wish I had a pic of how key looks fully in slot cause I think mine needs to slide in further, just something I observed although key takes me to start position.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to remove that knee pad that goes from one side of the dash to the other to get to the rear screws to remove that clamshell for the ignition switch. . Are there bolts holding that dash knee pad in the center/ console area?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is one #8 mm nut located at the lower back of the knee pad facing to the left. There are 2 pins held in place to the center carpeted side of the console when the #8 mm nut is tight. Just wiggle it out because you have an upper flap above the ignition area to contend with.
Having trouble finding that 8mm nut. It’s loose on both sides. Also, does the center console need to be removed where the ac knobs are? Feel like something is holding it there. Removed the side carpets already.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG... the irony of this. My 87 did the same thing yesterday. My key ended up broken in the cylinder.

(1) quickly ordered a new replacement cylinder from Centerline
(2) remove 4 of the 5 steering wheel shroud cover screws
(3) remove fuse box knee-blocking
(4) remove 'the other' knee-blocking piece on the right.
(5) remove the last steering wheel shroud cover screw, and carefully pull apart the plastic covers.
(6) praise God, Allah, Buddah, and the ghost of Enzo Ferrari: my ignition switch had been previously changed, so my steering-lock pin was a simple thumbscrew to remove.
(7) disconnect the ignition cylinder 3-pin harness thingadoodle.
(8) pull out old ignition cylinder and look at it lovingly.

(9) check FedEx tracking number from Centerline.

(10) ... tomorrow, do everything in reverse and enjoy the car again :)
Hey thanks for the reply, looking good on your end, I was able to get to ignition switch as well. Only problem is the casing is not coming out. Wasn’t sure and I pressed on the button that holds it inside casing and the inner workings came out. Looked at a new one and saw that they bring casing and all. Not sure why casing is stuck in there. Was lucky too with security bolt just a Phillips screw in there. Sending pic, any advice would appreciate

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's reference from the workshop manual…
View attachment 1751063
Thanks for the reference, mine was a bit different the knee pad is one piece from one side of dash to the other and has 4 nuts accessible behind the radio. I got to the ignition switch and was lucky with security bolt just a Phillips screw in there. Only problem is I wasn’t sure how to get out and I pushed on the pop up button on top and the inner workings came out. The casing is still stuck in there and not sure why it’s not budging. Any advice I would really appreciate as this is my first time dealing with this fix.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts