Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dremel or file. Or take a punch and loosen it by smacking one side to get it turning. You might have to do it several times.
Thanks for advice, Problem I see and I don’t know if this is from factory but it looks like someone was in there and broke off the break off bolt, the true rounded bolt is sunk way past the metal hole it’s in. Wouldn’t be able to get around the sides.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Yes. It is countersunk.

All you have to do is take a short center punch and grind the end so the point is on the side and tap it into the head of break off bolt. Once its loose about half a turn you can easily unscrew it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just to pile on here. I didn't quite buy the method with the punch, so I wasted about an hour trying to wedge myself up under the dash in a 91 with a dremel tool. I finally gave up, tried the punch approach and it was out in under 5 mins.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thanks for advice, Problem I see and I don’t know if this is from factory but it looks like someone was in there and broke off the break off bolt, the true rounded bolt is sunk way past the metal hole it’s in. Wouldn’t be able to get around the sides.
This is what the bolt looks like before the head breaks off...personally I have done dozens and dozens when AR had the recall......Flat small punch worked for me...bty the flat rate time to R&R the ign switch was only 1/2 hour...

Wood Line Indoor games and sports Material property Font

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
This is what the bolt looks like before the head breaks off...personally I have done dozens and dozens when AR had the recall......Flat small punch worked for me...bty the flat rate time to R&R the ign switch was only 1/2 hour...

View attachment 1751226
Did you ever put the long bolt in then find out the key wouldn’t turn because you were supposed to use the short one?😊

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
You reshape the tip to get a better bit in to the aluminum head of the bolt.

Attachments

Reactions: goats

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Did you ever put the long bolt in then find out the key wouldn’t turn because you were supposed to use the short one?😊
NO..never happened to me...I always used to put the old bolt back with a punch and save the new one...that's why I have so many laying around somewhere :unsure:

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
NO..never happened to me...I always used to put the old bolt back with a punch and save the new one...that's why I have so many laying around somewhere :unsure:

I did it once. The independent shop I worked at use to get oem switchs from the usual wholesalers and most would come with the long and short bolt in the box. I always used the new screw. It was quicker going in.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
You can do it with a slightly longer one. The trick is grinding the tip like the picture shows.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts