Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the recent "pleasure" of replacing my ignition switch. It wouldn't have been too bad a job if not for the locking bolt removal.

Honestly, we should be able to meet that engineer and ask "just what were you thinking of when you designed this?"

As you know, if you have found this thread that the locking bolt is for lack of a better term, "a breakaway bolt head". Meaning that once in place you continue to turn the bolt head and it snaps off. Ya, it snaps off on purpose!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are left with a headless bolt. Not only that, it is literally located 180 degrees on the other side of the steering column. So you need mirrors and blind feeling around to find it. Unbelievable!

When its time to remove the ignition switch, in today's times, you use a dremmel to cut a slot in it and work its way out. I would love to know how Alfa thought this could be done without the dremmel. You can't get a drill back there.

Here is the cut broken bolt seen just about centre.

ABB IMG_6979.jpg

Even after cutting the slot, it wasnt easy to get out. I read all kinds of posts that say it was easy, but not mine, oh no, not mine. I broke to srewdriver tips to get it out.

ABB IMG_6981.jpg

As I have read on the BB, its better to install a bolt or the kind for the next time. So I found this hex head bolt and it will be way easier the next time around. Thought I would post the dimensions for anyone searching.

The appropriate size is M6 x 1.0 x 20mm

ABB IMG_1039.jpg
ABB IMG_1042.jpg
ABB IMG_7024.jpg

Hope this helps.

Vin

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
isn't it odd how working in a mirror image is so darn difficult for the brain to handle....
I used a mirror to do my heater valve and it sent me nuts, till I got used to thinking backwards;)

Good info Vin, thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't it odd how working in a mirror image is so darn difficult for the brain to handle....
I used a mirror to do my heater valve and it sent me nuts, till I got used to thinking backwards;)

Good info Vin, thank you.
Even though I knew I was looking in the mirror, my fingers and hands still would go in the wrong direction!

Glad its done.

Vin

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
... we should be able to meet that engineer and ask "just what were you thinking of when you designed this?"
Vin
Ignition Switch Security Bolt

Like the part description says; 'security bolt'...Alfa engineers tend to 'over engineer' things -even the little things.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Theres a reason its called a security bolt. Without that bolt back in the day it would take all of 3 to 5 minutes to rip the plastic cover off, unscrew the bolt and hot wire it.

All you have to do is take a short center punch and grind the end so the point is on the side and tap it into the head of break off bolt. Once its loose about half a turn you can easily unscrew it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I always wondered why they went through the trouble on my '69 Giulia. Yes, you can rip the plastic cover off and the bolt will stop you from taking out the switch, BUT.... you can just pull the wires off the back of the switch and connect them, or just touch a screw driver to the right ones, (my Giulia only has three wires) and it starts.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I always wondered why they went through the trouble on my '69 Giulia. Yes, you can rip the plastic cover off and the bolt will stop you from taking out the switch, BUT.... you can just pull the wires off the back of the switch and connect them, or just touch a screw driver to the right ones, (my Giulia only has three wires) and it starts.
You won't get very far with the steering column lock engaged. Which is the reason for the bolt. It saved our 73 spider from getting stolen back in the mid 70's. They had gotten it hot wired and made it to the middle of the street it was parked on. Before the lock engaged.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
All you have to do is take a short center punch and grind the end so the point is on the side and tap it into the head of break off bolt. Once its loose about half a turn you can easily unscrew it.
I have done so many of them I could do it in my sleep ...use to put the old bolt back in so I saved the cool looking new ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts