Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how to remove the ignition switch? I removed the bottom plastic shroud, but cant seem to remove the top piece? I think the security bolt is hidden under there..

Or, is it better to hire a locksmith to work on it in place.. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
what model and year car do you have?

On one spider, I;ve had to remove the two bolts that hold the steering column to the body so I could get a tiny movement DOWN on the column to remove the top shroud piece. Other ones the shroud comes off without having to do that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an 87 Spider.. Sorry, I tried to edit the title, and couldn't.. Thanks.. I did remove the 13mm bolt in the tube.. is there another?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Yes, there are 2 bolts. 2nd is further back on steering column. I believe on an 87, you’ll have a pin that is visible on top of ignition that needs to be pushed down while pulling tumblers out. First a screw on the back of ign switch (phillips) need be removed.
Insert ign key, turn ign “on”, depress release button afore mentioned & pull ignition outward.
Hope this helps ?
BTW, you’ll have to feed wires into column as you pull ignition out.

Reactions: mzmaine

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
2 wires

trace those wires, they may go to buzzers for "leaving key in ignition" & "seat belt alerts". other than that,, ?
BTW, did you use a ball peen hammer?:wink2: Nice job

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reassembly?

Hi all, I got a replacement ignition switch and it has 4 wires.. I believe the green is separate as it was not in the plug when I took it apart. Where does the green go? Does it double up in the plug?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Hi all, I got a replacement ignition switch and it has 4 wires.. I believe the green is separate as it was not in the plug when I took it apart. Where does the green go? Does it double up in the plug? Thanks!
that question just came up recently
I advised the guy to tape it up
(never heard back that this wasn't correct, so I guess it was OK advise!)

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/8466058-post27.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts