Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be changing the ignition switch so I did a little reading. The Shop manual seems to indicate that the column needs to be out of the car?!?!? This is a 1991 Spider. Seems excessive to me. Anyone have experience or suggestions?

·
Registered
236 Posts
On my 86 Spider I removed the ignition switch without removing the steering wheel. Just take a dremel with a reduced diameter cuttting disk so you a manuever and cut a slot in the safety screw behind the ignition switch barrel. You will have to remove the column black plastic casing to get to the screw.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
your 91 has an airbag, do not attempt to remove the steering wheel. I have changed an ignition switch on an S-4. you will need to disconnect the steering column from under the dash (two cross bolts after you remove the stuff in the way) so you can lower the steering column and get proper access to the hidden break-off mounting (fixing) screw. Disconnect the battery first!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great news!!!

I found a locksmith in Cleveland(West Side) that solved my problem. I did not have any door keys and the ignition key barely worked. Sometime 15 minutes or more of wiggling! I called everywhere in the area. Some suggestions from the alfa bb were helpful but didn't resolve this. E&A Locksmith 216-252-5397 made keys from impressions. He got the keys close and continued to trim and try. He worked at it until it was done. Reasonable charge. Great fitting keys. I was ready to replace the ignition switch and door handles from a man with a donor car. If your in the area with this problem, call him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts