Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I diagnosed my key issue to a bad ignition switch, thanks to all for the help

I picked up an ignition switch off a local Alfa enthusiast and plan to put in tomorrow.

Quick question first, on the new switch, I can turn the key all the way 180 degrees, there’s no resistance. There’s no spring back from what would be the start position.

Is this something that happens once the switch is installed? I don’t want to go through the hassle of installing a bum switch

edit it’s for a 76 spider

cheers

·
Push hard and live
9,632 Posts
All of the Alfa switch assemblies I've used have a spring back from start.

Note.... There is the locking assembly, and the rear-mounted and removable switch assembly. The switch itself does not contain the spring. That is in the lock assembly.

So, we need to be clear on whether we're talking about the locking mechanism or the switch. They mate together to form a "switch assembly".

·
Push hard and live
9,632 Posts
Ah... you bought a USED switch. Generally a bad plan when working on an Alfa.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so new switch sorted out, however it’s a model that’s missing the key buzzer hook up.

A photo of the old switch is attached, I know the big thick black wire in the left is the key buzzer, I’ll just cap that off.
Can anyone let me know what the black wire on the right that connects to the back of the switch does?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts