Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally started attempting to bring my 78 Spider back to life. Compression is good (158-161) on all cylinders, oil is clean, coolant is clean, SPICA appears ok. However I have an ignition question that some of you can probably answer right away and save me some time and testing. The PO broke the key off in the ignition switch, and the switch will not turn. In order to unlock the steering and even get it onto my trailer when I bought it, I removed the lock cylinder. When I use a screwdriver to turn the ignition switch the lights and guages all come on, and I can engage the starter to turn the engine over, but I get no spark. I know I need to check the coil and look at those Marelli dual points hidden beneath the mechanical advance, but there is one thing I want to check first. There are 2 black wires going to the lock cylinder itself. Is this some type of anti-theft system to ground out the ignition if the lock is pulled out? If so, what do I need to do with them? I have also pulled the fuel pump fuse to protect the pump. The gas tank is rough so I have rigged up a 14psi pump and filter from a can of clean gas directly attached to the SPICA, and bypassing the built in fuel filter with the low fuel pressure switch. I don't think the ignition would be disabled from this, but correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for you help.

-Wayne

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I guess this weekend will be devoted to standard no spark troubleshooting. Actually it might be weekend after next. My Midget will be going to the Nashville British Car Club show on Saturday.

-Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts