Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having an ignition switch issue on our 81 GTV6. When the steering column is locked (having moved the wheel with the key out) it s becoming increasingly difficult to unlock. Have to wiggle back and forth for a while to get the key to turn.

when the key is in, moving the wheel CCW against the stop allows the key to be turned just about 1/8 of a tun before jamming.

i tried two keys, tried wiggling the key, pushing it or pulling it out a little... nothing. Eventually it will clear.

could that be a problem with the lock itself or something in the steering column?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the same thing in my Alfetta. You have to center the steering wheel in the lock zone when you turn the key and it should be fine. I don't think the key likes when the steering wheel is jammed against the lock.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me on my 74 spider. I assume your lock is built the same inside. I played with it for a while, then I took the lock off the steering post. (Using a Dremel metal cut off tool to cut a slot in the head, took a short 90deg. screw driver to loosen. After the repair I used an Allen head cap screw to put it back. (Lowes, bring the old one to check size) I ground the short end of the Allen wrench shorter to get it to fit.) I took a picture of the wires so I could get them back correctally.

To get the lock electrical part separated from the lock part, pry up the little circle clip with something sharp. It will fly across the room, so be careful. Under the electrical part you will see a little pointed lever at the bottom. This is the gadget that keeps you from hitting the starter again after the engine has started. I took a small screw driver and small hammer and removed it. Alfas are not known to be very quite like a 53 Buick so your not likely to hit the starter again after the engine is running.

If this does not fix the problem, see if you can trade the Alfa in for a 53 Buick... :sneaky:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Try graphite powder before pulling it all apart a little lube works wonders.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think lubricating thru the key hole will help as the key turns very easily but I guess it s worth a try.

as to turning the key when the wheel is in the middle of the lock zone, i ve tried. No matter what position the wheel is in ( against the lock, against the other side or anywhere in between) it doesn’t make any difference.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
OK: so now is it working??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts