Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a good ignition switch (with keys and steering lock) for a 69 spider like that shown in the photo?

If so, can I buy it?

None of the locks I've seen advertised by the usual suppliers look like my original (which is becoming very difficult to use).

Has anybody taken one of these apart - and if they have - did they manage to put it back together again?

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Steve,
You don't say what the problem is but I can say that taking one of these apart is possible with a certain amount of grinding and drilling as I recall. I did this procedure on mine and got it apart. Haven't done it yet but my plan is to reassembly it with epoxy replacing the missing metal. I believe this will result in a functional switch but not pretty. The not pretty part will be covered by the plastic trim. The way I look at it is if the alternative is to buy a replacement then why not give a try at working on the one you have. These do come up on ebay at times so if you want a replacement you may need to keep looking. Also you may check APE (Alfa Parts Exchange). I do not know about any new parts available. Good luck.
Regards, Al
1967 Duetto in rehab.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
When I did the restoration on my '72 I bought a brand new ignition switch from IAP. It's a good thing that I had the car in neutral when I hooked up the battery because the switch was defective and the engine started cranking. I disassembled the new switch and found it to be a real POS. I was able to repair it with some epoxy but it still had a lousy action and would sometimes jam so I picked up a used one from APE and have never had any trouble with it.

In other words - be very wary of ANY aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Many of these switches have an round internal electrical switch made of plastic with metal contacts. In many cases it is actually possible to remove and service or at least replace this electrical switch and retain the key metal cylinder lock set (and the original keys. It is therefore essential that the entire ignition switch be removed if it is to be rplaces. If you can do this, maybe someone in the forum can offer a replacement. Most of the switches used by Italian cars and AR were made by SIPEA which is stamped all over the place including original keys. Let us know. James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts