Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 82 Spider (Bosch L-tronic) was running perfectly then just refused to start - problem seems to be no spark. I've replaced the coil, but probem persists. I'm not too confident about working on the igntion module and sensors, but is there anything obvious I should check before calling in the experts?

Anybody got any idea much a new ignition module costs?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Just a guess on this model, but I would check the inline fuses for the computers. I believe there is one, but maybe two (one for each computer). They are located near the computers behind the passenger seat. One is beneath the rear deck carpeted floor. One is on the side wall of the car next to the B-pillar/door.

Best of Luck,
John M

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John - I've had a look but there is only one fuse (under rear deck by injector module), but that's OK so does not look like a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I've had two ignition control modules fail on other make cars. One just failed to start, the other failed while running down the road. I assume your distributor is a Marelli? If so, International Auto Parts lists one for '79-on Electronic Marelli systems for $19.50 USD. If it's a flywheel magnetic pickup & sensor, that's considerably more expensive at about $120 USD

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John

Mine has has the flywheel sensors, but $120 USD is cheaper than I thought given the size of the module and vast number of wires coming out of it! If that's all it costs to fix I'll be a happy man.

Bill A.

·
Registered
84 Posts
$120 sounds like the price of the flywheel sensors not the the module you should double check that price.

badshead said:
John

Mine has has the flywheel sensors, but $120 USD is cheaper than I thought given the size of the module and vast number of wires coming out of it! If that's all it costs to fix I'll be a happy man.

Bill A.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I think you probably are right on the price through IAP. A MSD 6AL and a Crane Hi-6 both cost around $200. Performance coil and wires to go with runs another $100. So for about $300 you can have an ignition system that is superior to the original. And its at the local autozone.

I prefer MSD as I had a Crane fail. Both units are multispark on the low end and stronger spark throughout the rpm range. And I have looked in the instructions for my MSD, and it does offer a way to hook into the stock crank sensor.

Best of Luck,
John M

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've looked on the IAP website and they do a RML automotive replacement - part no 4101. This might be a whole lot cheaper than paying for all the diagnostics only to find the module is trashed. Do you know if this RML product is any good (and easy to fit).

Bill

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I suppose you could check to see if you're getting a signal from the magnetic pickup. You'd have to check the manual for the proper test procedure. If not, you could take a chance on a $20 ignition module and R&R it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Bill:

I don't have the IAP catalog in front of me now, and their website doesn't show a picture, but I believe that what IAP sells is a rebadged crane box as "RML". They have two versions to offer. The more expensive one is identical to the Crane 3000 (Or they may be using the Hi-6). The low priced one is identical to another Crane, model 700. The MSD 6AL and the Crane Fireball HI-6 are superior to those models. Any of them are very easy to install. You can pick up the individual components cheaper (less a modified distributor that IAP offers in one package) through your local autozone and in the end have a better system than what they are offering. Its boils down to how much do you want to spend. My preference is MSD, but simply because I had a Crane fail. Both work excellently, provide considerable quicker power especially when considering reduction of gas pedal depress to acceleration time. Both the MSD 6AL and Crane Hi-6 are multispark on low rpm.....so never foul a plug again. We all probably have a pile of used plugs we have collected over time. I must say, my pile is gone since going to MSD.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts