Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the early 164 V6 Motronic ECU have an internal or external igntion module?

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Does the early 164 V6 Motronic ECU have an internal or external igntion module?

Series 1 164 12v V6 ignition controlled by Motronic ECU so no seperate ignition module. There is a RPM/Timing Reference sensor that reads OFF front crankshaft pulley.

Series 2 12v and 24v with 6 ignition coils have two ignition control modules mounted on air cleaner mounting bracket bracket.
These also use RPM/Timing reference sensor on crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
To add to what Steve said, Motronic (ML4.1 & M1.7) include spark ignition control logics inside the ECU's so there's no other external spark "control" ECU. The later M1.7 has external "ignition modules" (that's what they're called in the manual) - but these are just solid state amplifiers (power transistors) that take the trigger signals from the Motronic ECU and drive the coils on top of the spark plugs. I believe they move the amplifying section out of the Motronic ECU likely because of power and heat concerns.

·
Premium Member
15,545 Posts
Yup, they moved them out into the engine compartment where they get dirty and end up with poor connections.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply's guys, but me thinks I should have worded my question slighly different.
What I nead to know is, is there an external (from the ECU) ignition coil switching module? That is, a solid state device that gets it's signal from the ECU to switch the coil negative either open or closed but does not have any relevance to the actual ignition timing, it just handles the relatively high current loads.
Sorry for any misunderstandings :eek:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Actually, the boys have answered your question but threw in some extra info.

Series 1 164 12v V6 ignition controlled by Motronic ECU so no seperate ignition module.
To add to what Steve said, Motronic (ML4.1 & M1.7) include spark ignition control logics inside the ECU's so there's no other external spark "control" ECU.
But to be specific, the module that drives the coil and is external on many cars is built into the Motronic 4.1 ECU.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Craig for clearing that up. Thank to all for information.:D

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Thanks for reply's guys, but me thinks I should have worded my question slighly different.
What I nead to know is, is there an external (from the ECU) ignition coil switching module? That is, a solid state device that gets it's signal from the ECU to switch the coil negative either open or closed but does not have any relevance to the actual ignition timing, it just handles the relatively high current loads.
Sorry for any misunderstandings :eek:
No there isn't any external coil switching module on the 164 like the seperate EZ ignition ECU under the dash or the switching module mounted on coil bracket like there was on 84-87 GTV6 and Miliano aka 75.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts