Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 1989 LJet spider has been very reliable for the past 5 years and 30,000 miles, never any real issues. About a month ago I replaced the cam cover gasket and all exhaust manifold gaskets due to leaks and also retorqued the head, this may be related to the below issues but I can't see how it. Today I've had several problems appear at once;

1. The coolant temp light and the break fluid light started to flicker on and off: it happens under several different conditions; heavy acceleration, pulling away at slow speed or when the wipers are on however it was very intermittent. All grounds and battery connections are clean. Any ideas where to look?

2. The engine started to cut out when idling, so far just with a cold engine. It's not running particularly rough and it doesn't sound like it's struggling but when sat at lights it just cuts off. I've checked for false air leaks across the intake and can't see anything obvious. I've also read there could be a vacuum leak in the brake booster but the cut out doesn't appear related to braking. The AAV doesn't open fully when cold but isn't closed either, never caused issues before. Any thoughts on next steps?

3. The last one is a more a curiosity; the car has suddenly got particularly loud, with a lot of resonance in the exhaust above 3500rpm and still plenty of pull. It sounds great but not sure why it has suddenly gone like this. Exhaust all looks good. Anything to be concerned about?

Any help on the above would be really appreciated,

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Going way out on a limb now...

Are motor mounts OK ? And related, is the heavy earth braided harness between transmission bell housing and frame intact ?

If motor was rocking, exhaust would be affected, and possibly tugging on / breaking the earth harness ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting idea...I replaced the motor mounts and gearbox about 5 years /30000miles ago when I first got the car... Definitely worth popping under the car and having a check though, cheers

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I know you have said that all grounds are OK but if you have been doing things to the head, I would still be looking at the ground connections at the back of the head on the passenger side just to make sure they are snugged up tight. Maybe wiggle them round a bit with the engine running just to see if it cuts out/does anything strange.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stan and AngloSpider, I'll check both of those tomorrow.

Having a look at the wiring diagrams I can see that the windscreen wiper intermittence (N14), is a common point for the Low Brake Fluid Switch wiring, the High Coolant Temperature Switch wiring and of course the wipers, considering that the warning lights have been triggered by the wipers could the windscreen wiper intermittence be the possible issue? what exactly is the windscreen wiper intermittence? Is it a relay of sorts?

Cheers,

Stephen

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,589 Posts
The coolant and brake lights are the two that come on for a short period when you start the car. If they're coming on when you're driving, it usually indicates a low voltage condition: loose battery cables, loose connection in the power feed, or dodgy ignition switch are a few possibilities.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've cleaned up the grounds, the alternator terminal on the front left wing and the battery connections and had no cutting out today. I also decided to investigate the windscreen wiper intermittent relay given the fact that the warning lights in question feed through this. The ground for the relay (G54b -under the parcel shelf) was very loose and it appears the previous owner had cross threaded the bolt clamping the ground in place so I've replaced this and cleaned it up and also opened the relay and cleaned the contacts. No signs of the flashing warning lights any more (although a few more drives will be needed to be sure) and as a bonus my wipers now automatically park themselves so no more trying to turn them off at the end of the stroke. I was also further inspired by threads on this forum to remove the wiper motor, clean it up inside and re-grease it; this has made quite a difference. So all in all some mlidly annoying flashing lights have turned into quite a productive afternoon.

Cheers all for the help, hopefully won't be back here in a few days bringing this up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.