Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone knows what type will work.Are all Bosch Blue the same? The wire going to the coil was corroded I replaced it and it was fine for about a week

Had a no start and tightened battery cables and limped home.I just suspect the coil though as I pulled the wire again and see some corrosion already...

I would like to get a coil locally and I am in Canada (Ontario) so a local parts place would be nice.

thanks for any help...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Your 89 did not come with a Blue Bosch Coil. There is a specific coil for the 82 to 89 Spider to match the Ignition ECU output parameters. I'm sure that almost any coil will work, but you should try to get one that matches the ECU requirements. If you give Pinarello Motori a call I'm sure they will advise. If not try to source a coil from an Auto Supply house that is referenced to the 82/89 group of spiders.
The blue coil is really for a car with points. The ECU needs to have a more accurate coupling to the Discharge characteristics.

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks....I will see if I can get something tomorrow.Appreciate the information!

·
Administrator
17,233 Posts
I just suspect the coil though as I pulled the wire again and see some corrosion already...
I suggest cleaning the connections (I use a toothbrush size brass bristle brush) and then applying a dab of di-electric grease. (Di-electric grease is also known as 'tune-up grease'.) It is not a lubricant type grease but rather a greasy product designed to protect electrical connections from corrosion. It does not conduct electricity (thus if you over-do the 'dab' it won't short out a connection) but it won't insulate a proper mechanical connection (tight spade connectors or a terminal under a bolt/screw).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Also, if it has any bearing, the 82-89 coil has an internal ballast.

If you can't find the di-electric grease as described by Eric above, the Gel Lube as sold in tubes at Radio Shack works very nicely and in the same fashion, but is a clear gel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to get the right Bosch coil to match the year at the local Partsource here in Canada....

Horsfal had a replacement but it was 80+ bucks and not Bosch.The Bosch from PS is 47.00 so I went with them.

Seems to be a few new parts around anyway which makes it nice for us Canucks!!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
good stuff JMB.

Where are you in Ontario?

Got a lot oF info and stuff for our S3 Spider. I'mm retired and remote so I have to do all my own stuff. Being Italian and an engineer (electrical) helps!

Elio

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Kitchener....the beer capital of Canada :/

not retired or Italian but appreciate these cars.Just a real stand out car for decent price and never boring that is for sure!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts