Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like after 40 years the cd ignition boxes have finally given it up. I know many of you have used MSD, Crane and PermaTune replacements. I'd really like to try and keep the engine compartment stock looking. There is a company in Florida that rebuilds Early 911 boxes called Specialized ECU Repair. Has anyone used them? How about AMS out of Germany? I know that PermaTune can put their cd unit in my original boxes but at $500 to $600 per box I was thinking a rebuild might be more cost effective. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure did - as well as both of Bruce's books. Just trying to find the most current information on rebuilds. For example MSD has a new box that is smaller and will probably fit where the two Bosch boxes go - this may be another potential low cost solution for those that don't need to keep an original engine compartment and don't want the big MSD box on the inner fender....
Dale

·
Registered
88 Posts
One of my cd ignition boxes stopped working about 15 years ago. After isolation which box had failed I opened it up and re-heated the solder joints on the circuit board. It has been working since that time (many visits to 7000RPM), so you might try this before looking to replace it. If it fixes your problem you will keep the original engine compartment look.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gary, Hi, Love your car by the way. Really good colour.
You say re-heat the joints?? Do you mean add new solder anywhere that there is older on the circuit board of just put the tip of the iron onto the solder connections?
I had both of mine rebuilt but still get unexplained fuse blows from time to time. Frustrating..
Del

·
Registered
88 Posts
Del, from what I remember I just put the tip of the iron onto each joint and let the solder heat and reflow. I don't remember any of the points on the circuit board needing more solder.

I do remember these same fuses are also connected to the rear heated window, electric fan relay, electric windows relay, fuel pumps, and more. Check the electrical diagram for the actual details since any of these other components could be causing the fuse to blow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts