Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 spider with spica and cannot get the sob to idle at all. I looked at the wiring diagrams and see that there is a ignition relay that is connected to the de-cel sol and micro switch. That relay and wiring is missing. Car will run alright but as soon as I take my foot off the gas the car will die. Any suggestions. Would the de-cel not being hooked create the lack of idle? Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the decel switch was to cut the fuel when slowing down to reduce emmissions and popping when slowing down. the switch would turnoff when the engine slowed down. is the spica set up properly to idle?
cliff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have the spica set up to idle. I have the gap set at 19, I have the throttle plates closed all the way. Other than that I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions on what else I can check? I also have checked the points gap. I am at a loss for what else to check.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know enough to answer your question regarding the relay and missing wiring. You might try adjusting the air equalizer counterclockwise to allow more air since the throttles are closed. Check the idle air hoses for disconnects, obstructions or damage, and check the hose to the oil/vapor separator. It seems on my car, idle problems are usually ignition, plugs and timing related first and spica second.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I looked at the wiring diagrams and see that there is a ignition relay that is connected to the de-cel sol and micro switch.
The diagram is incorrect. The ignition advance relay is connected to the cold start solenoid, NOT the fuel cutoff solenoid. If you send me your email address in a private message, I'll send you the corrected diagram.

The purpose of the ignition advance relay is to switch between the primary and secondary sets of points under certain conditions. If the base ignition timing is at spec, the lack of the relay and associated wiring will not effect the idle.

Would the de-cel not being hooked create the lack of idle?
No. The fuel cutoff solenoid is in operation only with a closed throttle AND engine revs above about 1300.

Fellow BBer Roadtrip has written two excellent Spica guides. They are available for download here.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
I am NOT a Spica expert (and don't aspire to be), so others may clarify or even contradict what I have written here. But, Stonewall13 said he didn't know what else to adjust, so...

The decel solenoid itself can be adjusted (and adjusted quite a bit). Too far in one direction (out?) and the car will backfire on deceleration, too far the other way (in?) and it will .... Well, it will do something - perhaps prevent the engine from idling.

That dual point + relay setup was a typical mid-70's kluge that auto manufacturers had to employ to try to meet emission requirements. I doubt it accomplished much - you can probably remove it and still meet smog. Further, I doubt it is related to your idling problems.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
First of all, the ignition system must be timed correctly. If you can't get it to idle to set the timing with a strobe, set it static with a test light.

Once the timing is right, you should go through the entire Spica setup process, soup to nuts. If you need the Spica manuals, let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts