Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...could you please contact me.

I am looking at a car and want to determine what (if anything) has been modified or is not correct.

If you have a restored car and are sure it has been restored to factory correct, I could also use your help.

Anyone willing to help me please contact me at: [email protected]

I have a million short answer questions!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!!!

Tony

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

First off I would like to get some pictures of an original car.
Specifically the grill/bumber, engine bay, trunk, and the interior.
As well as a few general shots of the car.

Secondly I would like to know about the marker lights on the front fenders.
Is it possible for a 1965 Sprint GT to have come from the factory without them?

Third, should the bumpers be stainless or chrome?

Fourth, grill color should be??

Fifth, should the mat in the trunk have the Alfa emblem on it?

Sixth, Dash should be grey crinkle color, not wood grained?

Seventh, should a car with a grey interior have grey carpets or red?

Eighth, any chance of having a telephone discussion (if you are in the USA)? I could call you so you do not pay the long distance chargees.

Most of my questions will be answered by the detailed pictures.

THanks in advance!!
Tony

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Yep Alex will be a great help. Just remember there is never a certainty in the composition of parts that came out of the factory. Also take into account the different markets and how early/late in the Sprint GT production. Any leftover questions after you speak with Alex and I'm sure the BB can help.

WHat is the cars colour combo?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood....

I got into Italian "stuff" restoring Vespa motor scooters.
See vespaholic.com if you are interested.
Inconsistency is Vespa's middle name.
Then there were the Allstate Vespa's which were imported to the USA for Sears.
They were built from "B" Stock parts that were not good enough to be on Vespa badged scooters and they mixed parts from differant years.

·
Super Moderator
10,177 Posts
Sprint GT Quiz

vespaholic_com had asked:

... I would like to know about the marker lights on the front fenders.
Is it possible for a 1965 Sprint GT to have come from the factory without them?

- I believe the answer is "YES" - my Sprint GT (a relatively late 105.02, sn 616147) had no evidence of side markers, even when I stripped off the paint (e.g., they had not been removed, and the holes filled). However, this detail may differ between US spec and European cars.

Third, should the bumpers be stainless or chrome?

- Chromed steel, and one piece. Stainless came later

Fourth, grill color should be??

- don't understand the question. Are you referring to the center grille (which is SS) or side grilles (chromed pot metal)?

Fifth, should the mat in the trunk have the Alfa emblem on it?

- yea, I think so. Not 100% sure here

Sixth, Dash should be grey crinkle color, not wood grained?

- Grey, but it's more of a pebble finish than a crinkle. Definitely not wood for an early car.

Seventh, should a car with a grey interior have grey carpets or red?

- Again, not sure, but I'd guess the correct answer is "none of the above", and will write in "salt-n-pepper" (OK, which is sort of a grey). As someone else suggested, the exterior color might influence this. But, I doubt that even a Sprint with a red exterior would have red carpets.

OK, so if I got them all right, do I win an early Sprint GT?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The centre heart on the first red one has 7 bars which more correct for the veloce, the 6 bar on the second red one is more correct for a Sprint GT

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with all of this valuable information!
Alex actually called me on the phone to help me out! What a Guy!!
Thanks again!!!!!
Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone,
only recently have I become a member, but haven't posted before... I've been an interested observer for a while!
This is a very interesting thread as I have just bought a late 1965 Sprint GT, registered in 1966 here in Portugal, as a new car.
My car needs a very thorough rebuild, but is extraordinarily original in some details. Not so in others.
In fact I have a great deal of doubt on the same points as "vespaholic_com", and many others as well.
As you can see from the photos it doesn't have side flasher units (though I haven't checked for holes under the paint yet)... bumper is from a different car and some holes have been cut in the front panel. However, it's mostly correct under the hood/bonnet (air filter, plumbing, servo, etc) and the interior is in very good condition (original front seats not on the car but stored, and rear seat in perfect condition) all of the interior is RED (seats, door cards, carpets)! Now, here's where my questions start... The original documents (dated 1966!) state "car color": BLACK!... - never seen one before. Was this an option? can anyone help here?...
Also, the door cards have been repaired with new top and bottom sections. A good pic of an original one would be much apreciated.
Dash is black wrikle finished (with some additional instruments and switches...).
I really need to start gathering information on this car... It'll be a great car!

The correct 15" wheels are present, Dunlop brakes... but headlight surrounds are missing ...

Thanks all for a great place to learn and see some of these great cars!

Mario
Portugal

DSC04097_50%.jpg

DSC04098_50%.jpg

DSC04100_50%.jpg

DSC04101_50%.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tony,

I have an unrestored original Sprint GT ( 1965 ). One piece of advive I cannot recommend enough is having an original parts manual as this answered fifty questions I had. I work for a Vespa dealer in West Chester Pa. in case you don't know. www.importcarsofwestchester.com

Jonathan

·
Registered
759 Posts
This is my '65 GT, in a "before" condition: this is the day I went to pick it up from the original owner, who'd bought it new in Frankfurt and shipped it back to the Atlanta area after touring in it for about 3500 miles. (It has accumulated about 64,000 miles total) It is very original and as I slowly go through cleaning and replacing wear items, it's clear that even most of the hoses and fuel lines were factory installed, as are the skinny green Cavis plug wires.

That's 42 year old paint, too!

The bumper mounted fog lights were dealer installed, as was the Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM/SW radio and single speaker (which stills works great). The radio antenna was mounted on the passenger side front fender just ahead of the door, again, a dealer deal.

There was much disconcerting conversation about various details, including the one-piece bumpers, the absence of side marker lights, the absence of a rebreather hose from the carb cover to the cam cover, etc. Turns out that these minor differences turn up on early '65 production cars. Don't know yet when they were phased out or changed, but it was at least after my August car. Similar details show up on a July car and an April car. I hope to eventually determine when the changes were made to the more common later details.

Here's what Alfa had to say:

"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 616954 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT (105.02), manufactured on the 3rd August 1965 and sold on the 31st March 1966 to Alfa Romeo from Frankfurt, Germany. The body color is Alfa red, with black skai interiors."

Other early cars with gray interiors were documented by Alfa as having "black skai" interiors.

Hope this helps. Be sure to share what you find on this (your?) car.

Have fun!

Chuck

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts