Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have two I was thinking of fiddling around with one of them.

So my idea is pretty simple and easy to understand. What I would like to do is "flush" the bumpers. Basically just cut whatever is necessary to remount the fascia so that the upper front edge of the bumper is in line with the bodywork. In this case it would be the bottom forward edges of the headlights and grill. In the back same thing, make it flush with the body panels.

The result would be closer to how cars are designed today where the bumper isn't distinguished, it's just hidden under the plastic fascia rather than looking tacked on like an afterthought.

I know it's a hack job but done right I can pull it off. Of course I may never do it but it's at least worth talking about. Opinions are cheap and easy :)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
My opinion is cheap and worth nothing...yuk:)

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
Don't know if the underlying metal bumper shock structure will give you enough room to do that, but it might look interesting.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
It's a 25 year old car, not a new one. Having bumpers that look "modern" and the rest of the car looking 25 YO?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My two favorite guys.

Well, first off I would probably be surrendering all low impact crash protection. I don't think it would compromise high impact protection though.

In response to Richard - yup cheap and worth nothing but that's not the goal. The goal is to create a visual that is closer to the original.

Because really, and I've noticed this, the design has some sort of element about it that I can't really pin down. I just know that total strangers, be them fifty or seven year old kids often make comments about it to me - a total stranger.

There has to be something that compels those people to do that because they don't say anything to the guy with the BMW? Maybe it's the rarity and maybe you're right, there's no need to alter it.

·
Super Moderator
12,281 Posts
Gosh, aren't you worried about detracting from the value of your 164? Don't you think that Russian / Chinese / Saudi billionaires will be bidding millions of (fill in your favorite currency) for mint 164's in a few years? ...and yes, I'm kidding.

Actually I like your idea. The 164 has an interesting and unique shape; eliminating the 5 mph bumpers can only enhance it.

·
17,388 Posts
The newer 2.5 mph impact bumpers were introduced in 1983. I don't think the 164 has 5 mph impact bumpers.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
I'm easy but not cheap. So some think. I like your idea. I cant recall the guy who had the genesis thread a few yers ago but in alot of those rawings you'll find ideas and maybe something to replicate. ciao jc

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't look that difficult to me really, just the desire to do it that's the hurdle. In the end the reward is solitary, nobody else cares.

Well okay maybe not nobody :whistling:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Since it's not all molded and contoured like the newer cars, I think you need to keep an inch or so projection to make it look right. I'm thinking Ferrari 400'ish.

That would take some craftsmanship, I think in particular with making the lower trim look right, and to have it all terminate cleanly at the wheel wells. I guess you would be cutting the ends off to shorten them, so this would make the lower trim terminate a little higher off the ground, and it might not match the side skirts right.

I had my headlight washers filled and one bulged already. Not saying I used the best body guy, but I don't know that this plastic is as forgiving as you may think.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, on further thought it looks like something that would be a ton of effort for results that would hardly be noticeable. As Richard said it's a 25 year old car, live with it.

I'm dropping this one into the silly idea bucket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, the design should be 30 or more years old, first series was introduced in Italy in 1987. Don't know when a design is fixed in the development process.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Through my advanced budgeting methodology, I'd say dropping this idea leaves sufficient funds for some killer wheels. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On still further thought I'm recalling all of the tools, rags, oil bottles and beer cans I've rested on that front bumper during maintenance and it would be a darn shame to get rid of it.

·
17,388 Posts
Well, certainly a good place to rest the beer cans, lol. Most important part of working on these darn things.

Hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm okay but if you have any advice on kidney stones or how to keep your punk cat from chewing all your shoelaces off I'm all ears Del.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
No envy there in the kidney stone dept. If I read you correctly, you are having them removed as opposed to passing them. I hear it's mens equivalent to having a kid. No thanx. The cat? Loafers....ciao jc

·
17,388 Posts
Can you have the stone shattered in situ with ultrasound? I saw one that one of my old leads passed without having that done. Gawd almighty, it was the size of a large pea with sharp crystal edges sticking out. He said it was pretty exciting.

As for cats, does it have a vitamin deficiency, or just plain mean? We have a new cat now, and the 'no kill' place we got her at said that Costco dry and Trader Joe wet cat food was the best for them all around for nutrients and vitamins. That's all I know about that.

Didn't do anything with the cars today, just worked out in the yard trimming tree sized rhodies, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts