Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep - have that itch but not sure I'm being realistic about the driving experience. I've tweaked my Spiders to be subtly uprated and enjoy that they can easily run with modern traffic, is that asking too much of a 101 1.3L Spider? I use my cars for longer trips (think SoCal to SF and back) so being able to cover ground through a variety of conditions is important.

The 101 cars are achingly beautify and know that compared to contemporaries pretty advanced, but wondering if I'm just personally more oriented towards slightly later cars...

Thanks in advance for the thoughts, hope everyone is taking good care.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yep - have that itch but not sure I'm being realistic about the driving experience. I've tweaked my Spiders to be subtly uprated and enjoy that they can easily run with modern traffic, is that asking too much of a 101 1.3L Spider? I use my cars for longer trips (think SoCal to SF and back) so being able to cover ground through a variety of conditions is important.

The 101 cars are achingly beautify and know that compared to contemporaries pretty advanced, but wondering if I'm just personally more oriented towards slightly later cars...

I've taken two south Africa tours with Greig Smith and his SA friends in either a 750 or 101 spider. Typical distance covered 600 to 800 miles. Speeds up to 75 mph.

I have a 750 F. Great driver. But given the heat in the midwest in the summer prefer cars with AC for long trips.

Wonderful driving cars!!!

Reed

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,286 Posts

·
Administrator
12,905 Posts
A 101 spider with a 2 litre in it would be a rocket ...

Pete

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@PSk - I have a spare 1750, would that work? ;)

Wind protection much different?

Is 75 mph more of a practical topping out or cruising option in a 101?

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
I know that everyone's taste is different, so I'm not writing this to dump on anyone''s 750/101. But I went through the same thought process 30 or so years ago when a 101 Giulia spider normale fell into my lap. I was already familiar with 105's, having owned a '71 spider and Duetto. I owned that Giulia until just last year and enjoyed working on it, but just never loved driving it like I did the 105's; the drum brakes, the flimsy seats, the lack of sound deadening were just a little too primitive. My advice is to try one before you commit - maybe it will click for you.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I'm with Jay on this one. 101s are charming and fun to drive but a 105 is a modern machine. And frankly doing anything to a 101 is 3 times as expensive. And, I learned the hard way with my Giulia 1600, upgrading to a twin carb "Abnormale" is a lot bigger challenge then just swapping out the intake. Veloce mounts + Veloce headers = $$$$. Triple pot drum brakes - Torture!!

Somehow these cars are both less complicated and more difficult to work on. Classic Alfa!

But don't get me wrong, they are fabulous cars - you just need both!!

·
Administrator
12,905 Posts
Why don't 101's have sound deadening? But yeah drum brakes would turn me off a lot of cars ... 1930/40's Alfas excluded

Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
Why don't 101's have sound deadening?
Maybe I wasn't expressing myself properly when I referred to a lack of sound deadening. Sure, you could add DynaMat to a 750/101. But because 750/101's are lighter, smaller cars, they just seem noisier. Mine was a spider, and the top didn't fit the windows very well (maybe a 100 point car would have been better in this regard), so it had a lot of wind noise as well. Perhaps a 750/101 Sprint would be more 105-like.

Compared with even a Duetto, a 101 is like being on a motorcycle, the 105 a Caddy (and yes, I'm exaggerating a bit here).

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the discussion gentlemen, very helpful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have what I think may be close to the best of both worlds.......for me. A 62 Spider with a spiced up 2L, 5 speed with aluminum flywheel, LSD 4.11 rear, and front discs. I owned a 74 Spider, and it did feel more modern, the top worked easier, the heater was better, and that little more space behind the seats was handy. The experience of driving/owning/looking at the 101 just blows the later car out of the water for me. The details are just exquisite, the steering has a more delicate feel, and I just feel **** special every time I drive it. It kinda just depends on your priorities. Also, I could've bought my 74 5 times over for the cost of the 62.

The current owner of my 74, a good friend took my 62 for a spin, and asked me "why is that thing so fast?!?"

·
Registered
235 Posts

We owned an 86 spider graduate. It had a A/C, nice top that actually sealed out the rain, 2L with Bosch fuel injection. And as such was a much better car than a giulietta. But still not as good as today's cars.

Sold the 86 spider. Would never think of selling the giulietta spider veloce. While the 86 was better at being a car, the giulietta is a better driving experience.

My advice, for long trips buy a car with a roof, A/C, and satelite radio. Own a giulietta for the sheer joy and driving experience.

·
Registered
235 Posts

One more point, given today's traffic and speeds, safety should factor into any long tours. 750, 101, and 105s are just not as safe as modern cars. Leave the giulietta at home for long trips. (not withstanding the occasional vintage tour.)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Having owned 750, 101, Duetto, Series 3, Series 4 here a few thought:
If you don't want any shakes or rattles on bumps: go 750 or 101.
If you want to talk to your passenger at 100 MPH with the top down: Duetto
If you want the easiest to start: Series 3 (Bosch L-tronic)
If you want better looks than Series 3 (but never starts as easy .... Motronic): Series 4
If you want power steering and better AC: Series 4

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

I agree .. buying without driving.. is just not the course i would take. The interactions are endless especially after so many cars have been tinkered and modified by so many owners. For a tall person there is no other Alfa to compare to the roominess and ergonomics of a 750 or 101. These cars appeal to all senses. I have owned a 356 and a 911 and I would use that as a good comparison. I consider the 105's tinny and cheapened in comparison. and I've owned a '67 Duetto driver and now a '73 Spider...also , 2 Giulia N's a Giulia Spider Veloce, A 750 Spider Veloce a SZ round tail , a 750 Sprint...They all had different character and smallish engines that if they aren't up to snuff really give bad feedback and one thinks they are doggy. . Tuned (which they never go out of) ones are as they should be., nothing revs like a 1300 and begs for more pedal without even a hint of stress. I know of NO Giulietta that is going to PO the guy behind you when the light turns green and cruising the highway at 4500 RPM at 75-80 MPH for HOURS is a walk in the park at 90F. .They are not Karman Ghias.. Find a stock one and drive it.. and drive another and another. They are very docile too once you understand body lean is what makes them work.so well.. unfettered by slow heavy traffic or puttering around a neighborhood at 25 mph in 3rd gear and still pull well when asked... I had my fling with them and now just keep my toe in the pond with something less valuable and I couldn't give a rip if something happens to my '73. I would absolutely have a stroke on my earlier cars if that happened. It's called maturity ,.. and no regrets ... been there done it..

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the on-going thoughts, great reading.

I've added what I call sub-frame supports to the underside of my 105 Spider (basically tying the front and rear rails together) which makes a huge difference, so my data point is admittedly off but I wouldn't have thought a 101 makes a 105 seem tinny? Is that more a comment on the plastic trim?

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Thanks for the on-going thoughts, great reading.

I've added what I call sub-frame supports to the underside of my 105 Spider (basically tying the front and rear rails together) which makes a huge difference, so my data point is admittedly off but I wouldn't have thought a 101 makes a 105 seem tinny? Is that more a comment on the plastic trim?
Those supports aren't needed on a 750 or 101 platform (let's not discuss racing set-ups which are all over the lot and don't contribute to a stock comparison) Tinny? oka y.. how is stouter. They just seem better made and overall more robust. I think that is true with all cars with roots and tooling from 50's when compared to something evolving in the 70's.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, thanks for the follow-on observations.

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
Well seeing as I wuzz dragged into this one by Reed... here is my 0.02 Lira's worth. My family are into old cars, the Giulietta's are new cars to us the old ones are '20's & '30's.

I have had 105 GT's for years, but I like the way the 750/101 cars drive & we use ours for regular long distance Tours, we cover 400 miles in a day just to get to the start of a Tour which is usually 600 / 800 miles and then drive home. Our Giulietta's are not all stock, my '60 Spider got a 1600 twin carb transplant when the 1300 got really tired back in 2014... I finally understand what all the razzmatazz is about the Giulia Spider Veloce's. Dad's '57 SWB Spider Normale came to us with a 1300 GT Junior engine & 5 speed box, I have a period correct '57 Spider 1315 engine & tunnel case on the shelf. Our '61 Ti is box stock excepting for 40" oversize pistons, so is a square engine at 75mm x 75mm. Still with stock 10109 Ti cams, single Solex + 4 into 1 exhaust. Has a 5 speed in the original casing. It keeps up with the 2 liter 105 cars on Tours, but I have to keep the oily bits turning at 6000 when the road goes uphill.

All of ours are still on 2 shoe drum brakes - Alfa drums are the most fantastic brakes ever, stock Giulietta brakes have a bigger swept area than a 300SL Gullwing.... yep, let that sink in a bit, a bigger braking surface area than a supercar from the same era. 15" wheels vs 13" wheels. The 3 shoe ones are even better & discs took it a step further - the 105 discs with the boosters are tops. From my own experience, the stock drums are more than up to the task.

If you have an itch, an early 1600 with side mounted oil filter can & twin carbs is about the simplest bang for your buck without having to re-engineer engine mounts etc to get a taller 1750 or 2.0 under the hood of a Spider , not that you can't fit a bigger motor, just that the law of unintended consequences rears its head a few more times in things like plumbing in remote oil filters etc, etc. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the taller engines under the hood, but juggling engine mounts and using shims does the job. A great tip is to pull the engine mount studs on both sides and replace them with cap screws, this allows you to install a motor without the mounts & just slide them into place later.

The later 101 cars with the beefier suspension parts & the taller transmission tunnels for the split case boxes tend to lend themselves to being upgraded a bit easier than the early 750 ones with their flat transmission tunnels for the early tunnel case trannies. My 101 cars all have 5 speed boxes & reinforced trailing arm brackets on the rear axle. I don't race my cars, spirited & enthusiastic driving is my limit.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've taken two south Africa tours with Greig Smith and his SA friends in either a 750 or 101 spider. Typical distance covered 600 to 800 miles. Speeds up to 75 mph.

I have a 750 F. Great driver. But given the heat in the midwest in the summer prefer cars with AC for long trips.

Wonderful driving cars!!!

Reed
Once upon a time-when it was legal to do so--I drove a 101 1600 (with mondial 1700 pistons), abnormale spider from Fernley, NV to Wendover, NV --which is 362 miles, by the mileposts, in 4 hours flat. This was before the Interstate bypasses around 5 towns were completed and prior to when it was 4 lanes over Pequop Summit. Int town speed limits as low as 25 mph WERE observed, and there was a fuel stop, as well. The car was steady as a rock. You do the math ! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts