Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old engine out at 46,000 miles. Complete engine assembly.

Attachments

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New engine assembly going in.

So my wife now has a 46,000 Stelvio with a 0 mile engine in it.

Attachments

Reactions: shakingthrough

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
I must have missed the back story. Possible to get the summary version?

Reactions: rjv125

·
Registered
663 Posts
Cool. Thanks. It is a complex piece of kit to make that kind of hp and torque reliably. Folks that have put their Stelvio 2.0 on the dyno are calculating over 300hp when the overboost is in FWIW, with pretty easy upgrades to add more juice (engine responds nicely to exhaust and easy piggyback tune).

Were those taken at the dealer, assume this is a warranty replacement? Can I ask the reason for replacement? My ‘18 Stelvio Ti just a bit short of 40k, I am considering buying a long term FCA warranty they are pretty inexpensive if you shop around. Like all new cars these are amazingly complicated and computerized. My Stelvio was an early build (2017) put in service as a dealer demo, I put 28k in 10 months pre-COVID. Has been bulletproof, no issues.

Can’t begin to describe to the classic Alfa crew how well these drive, and driving a quad v6 version is ridiculous. I replaced the stock AS tires with Nokia’s Hakka R3 for winter and Pilot Sport 4 SUV for summer, and porterfield brake pads, otherwise stock.

Still prefer to drive a gtv6🍀.

Thanks for the pics!

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
'giulia spider sixteen00
89 Posts
that beast makes my 1600 look as simple as a teacup.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Here is a pic of how a crate motor used to look, this is the NOS 3.0 that went in gtv6, in the box from Alfa. Note wire separators!

·
Registered
663 Posts
@yvesmontreal you are so right the 2.0 fits nicely in the Stelvio engine bay, with the mass low and behind the front axle, surrounded by all of its stuff and the TTv6 fills it up pretty well!

@Jim G. Thanks again didn’t want to hijack your thread. Nice collection of Alfa’s you have!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We bought the car a little over a year ago. Used from the Alfa dealer. It had 28,000 on it. It is an early production 2017. At 32,000 it went into limp home mode. Towed to the dealer 70 miles away. They said it needed an oil pump. Going on the Giulia Forum. Some of them have been getting oil pumps over the last year or so. Something to do with the computer sensor in the pump.

It took them 4 weeks to put the oil pump in. Mainly waiting on one back ordered one time use fuel hose to complete the job. After that is had a shake at idle that makes a full water bottle shake back and forth in the cup holder.

I finally took it back at 44,000 almost a year form when we bought it. Complained about the shake, burning a quart of oil around every 2000 miles and coolant smell from under the engine cover. Tailpipes are completely caked with black soot. After spending another month there because a computer update that I was sent a letter about from Alfa took out the ABS module. Their new term for a computer. Dealer could not replace it without going through the 5 star techline deal. Finally got fixed. Was told the shaking and oil burning was considered normal by Fiat. When I questioned them on the oil burning. The service advisor went got the tech bulletin and showed it to me. But said Fiat would not allow them to hand them out to anyone. Tech bulletin that a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles was considered normal for the production run of engines. Which basically means Fiat knows the messed something up in the production run and they don't want to pay to fix them. (Kia and Hyundai just got nailed by the Fed's for this).

So right before Christmas it went into limp home again. Another 70 mile tow. Thank God the Alfa warranty covers towing to the nearest dealer. Its the oil pump fault code again. So dealer couldn't get the code to clear. Tech line told them another way to clear it. It cleared. Didn't come back on a test drive. But when moved a couple of hours later. It came back. So Fiat told them to put a long block in it. When the dealer called with that info. That was great. But. Long block are on back ordered with no estimated arrival date. The dealer is has one of their used cars needing a long block and they have been waiting over a month. So they got Fiat to agree to send one of the complete engine assemblies from the warehouse to put in. A complete engine assembly is exactly what is delivered to the assembly line to be put in. It has the harness, all electrical components, turbos, exhaust, etc. The picture of it sitting on the crate is all the parts that came on it.

So this time we got it back in 3 weeks. A new record. Shake is gone and I hope its a different production run. I'll see if it burns oil over the next 10,000 miles.

@Peter A When we bought the car. I bought the extend warranty as far out as I could get. 8 years / 100,000 miles. It is an extension of the factory warranty so you have roadside assistance and everything else the new car warranty has. It was 3200.00 and with all the problems new cars have today. I would not own one with out it. It is not just Alfa. I have spent the first 10 years of my working life working at Alfa, Porsche and Saab dealers. I still know a lot of techs in the business over most of the European brands. They are all having problems due to the complexity of the computer systems and engine systems to meet emissions.

I'll will selling the car about a year before it goes out of warranty.

To give you an idea of what can happen at a dealer once the warranty goes out. A lady I rent a building to has a Jeep. The dealer updated the transmission computer about 3 weeks after it went out of warranty. A week later the trans fried. Dealer said. Sorry its out of warranty. She was stuck with having to pay to put a trans in it.

I just got a recall on my 05 Mercedes for the sunroof glass blowing out from the glue holding the glass panel in going bad.

Reactions: AaronsSpider

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I wonder what becomes of the old engines? Being so new Id like to assume they aren't junked but maybe parted?

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can’t begin to describe to the classic Alfa crew how well these drive, and driving a quad v6 version is ridiculous. I replaced the stock AS tires with Nokia’s Hakka R3 for winter and Pilot Sport 4 SUV for summer, and porterfield brake pads, otherwise stock.

Still prefer to drive a gtv6🍀.

Thanks for the pics!
Its fun to drive. But to me it really close to how all the other Euro cars are. Its definitely not like Alfas of old. Its my wife's car. But I don't have the urge to go drive it like I do my other Alfas.

Lately trying to get the 71 Spider back on the road. It belonged to a close friend who was hit by a drunk driver. Paralyzed and brain damage. I bought it from the family after selling his other 7 Alfas in 2014. Its been parked since 1996. The coolant crystalized and corroded the crap out of everything. It ate a pit in one of the liners about halfway through. Engine only has 20 miles on it. Also building a correct 1600 for the Giulia Super to get the 2 liter out that it came with.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder what becomes of the old engines? Being so new Id like to assume they aren't junked but maybe parted?
They go back to Alfa and are either taken apart to figure out what went wrong. Or scrapped.

Reactions: AaronsSpider

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a pic of how a crate motor used to look, this is the NOS 3.0 that went in gtv6, in the box from Alfa. Note wire separators! View attachment 1667406
It actually came in a crate! I put several long blocks in Spiders when I worked at the dealer in the 80's and 90's. They just came banded to a pallet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yup a real crate 🍀. Delivered to Alfa of Tacoma a long time ago. I have to check the dates, early 1990s, one of the heads has a blanking plate on to drive a Motronic distributor like a 164.

Thanks for the Stelvio details. Will be buying a warranty if I keep it. My Stelvio burns a quart every 10,000 so that’s good for now.

Reactions: Jim G

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to check the dates, early 1990s, one of the heads has a blanking plate on to drive a Motronic distributor like a 164.
Just looked at the picture again. It also has the stud holes around the right side/rear head camshaft for the torque bracket in the 164. So it probably dates from 91/92

Reactions: Peter A

·
Registered
663 Posts
@Jim G always love to hear from the guys that saw these back in the day from and know little details 🙂. loving your ‘69 Berlina, thinking that is my next project, best dash ever. cheers🍀

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks for the background Jim. I had read something about that oil pump sensor issue, and I think it has to do with a variable volume pump designed to reduce the load on the engine (anything to gain a fraction of a mpg...). My feeling was/is, at what price mileage?? If you wind up driving a shuttle launch system, that is so %@#*& complex it takes increased expert (read costly) maintenance attention, or maybe a disaster, who gains? Answer: nobody. The customer is unhappy and the manufacturer doles out increased warranty costs.

I am still a devotee of the old WWII "KISS" principle.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had read something about that oil pump sensor issue, and I think it has to do with a variable volume pump designed to reduce the load on the engine (anything to gain a fraction of a mpg...).
As I understand it. The screen in front of the sensor used was to fine of a mesh. So it would get clog up.

I have noticed over the last 20 or so years. That car manufacturers have gone to using a finer mesh screen on their oil pumps. Especially with the long increase between oil changes and the higher temps the engine are running for cleaner emissions.

Saab is a good example. When they went to longer oil changes. 8 to 10 thousand mile oil changes. With the increased running temperature. Oil was crystallizing to the sides of the block. It would eventually come loose. Clogging the finer mesh oil filter screen they were using. Which caused several problems. One timing chain tensioners getting clog and the chains running loose. Eventually to damage bearings and engine replacement. Saab extended the engine warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles for those problems.

Alfa says an oil change is required every 10,000 miles. The dealer recommends every 5,000 miles. Which I agree with.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Jim G always love to hear from the guys that saw these back in the day from and know little details 🙂. loving your ‘69 Berlina, thinking that is my next project, best dash ever. cheers🍀
PM sent

·
Administrator
14,469 Posts
Please put it back in so we don't have to look at it ;)

Pete

Reactions: Lufty and alfaloco
1 - 20 of 29 Posts