Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,248 Posts
The 2nd reference you show of the eBay page does indicate that Dayco thinks it will not fit the 164, it does have a smaller ID. I'm using the Dayco 89018 version right now. It fits nicely

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Rick, any chance you can match what you already have?

When I changed what was on mine, with the one from alfissimo, I needed to make a bushing for it to center on. That wasn't dayco, but I guess the possibility exists of getting a different bearing ID when using different part numbers.

Not the worst thing, but an extra step that slowed me down a bit.

·
Premium Member
16,248 Posts
True, I did have to make new bushings for the Dayco I use, but I've got a lathe, so no problem to do that. The pulley itself, however, does fit just nice once installed.

I paid somewhere around $15 for the Dayco I got from eBay. We will see how long it lasts. I trade around between the OEM, the Dayco, the double row Fiat idler pulley, whatever I feel like at the time.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Guiseppe at Alfa Import Center put one on my car during a timing belt change. It's plastic so might not heat up as much as all metal. IMO, the key to bearing longevity of the idler, water pump, and compressor bearing is NOT using the Alfa spec of 124 lb belt tension. 60 lbs of tension is plenty good enough.

·
Premium Member
16,248 Posts
Exactly, that's most of it. The heat takes care of the rest, with it turning the standard bearing grease to a solid, as I found in the one which failed.

I have always set the tension so that on a cold start, with the a/c turned on, it just barely squeaks for just a few seconds and then goes away. After that, when the system is warm, there is zero sound, and enough tension. On a cold start with the a/c turned off, there is no noise.

The Gates "Kriket" tension gauge always measures about 55-65 LB tension.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 89042 is less expensive than the OEM. The outside diameter is the same as OEM. The width is almost the same as OEM. The bearing looks good and big, I wonder if "dual bearing" means that it has two rows of balls? The mounting would be simple, it would not require any shoulder spacers.

One question is if the mounting face recess dimension will work.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If I follow what your saying, i would just space it off the mounting bracket with washers if necessary. I had to do that as well, in addition to making the bushing.

How about mounting the flat face towards the bracket, space it off as necessary with a washer, and use a shorter bolt?

It looks like this one can work.

·
Premium Member
16,248 Posts
Had to remove the 89018 Dayco idler pulley off the S, as when I started the car this morning, it screeched, even though it was new. Not good. Changed back to an old OEM pulley, and all is quiet again.

I would say that the 89042 pulley may be a good way to go, as indeed, it is a double row bearing of larger dia than the 18. Should work much better. I'm disappointed in that 18 for sure.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a Dayco 89042. I did not install it on the car yet. The OD is 70mm and width is 28mm (OEM is 70x29). It fits in the correct plane when mounted on the arm without any modifications. I used a 8mm-1.25x30mm bolt. The number on the bearing is 6005RS which is a single row ball bearing. A typical application for 89042 pulley is a BMW.

Does anyone know if the bearing in the OEM Alfa pulley is single or double row of balls?

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Who woulda thunk a Fiat part would be an "upgrade" from an Alfa part?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think I catch the humor. Neither Fiat nor Alfa make bearings, the double row "Fiat" upgrade that quite a few of us have opted for (original application: 1972-1985 Spider 124 timing belt tensioner bearing) is manufactured by Breda in Italy. The "upgrade" is of course the double row aspect.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use the bmw idler pulley 11-28-1-748-131 (INA or URO brand), $10-20, they work fine

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
"The number on the bearing is 6005RS which is a single row ball bearing. A typical application for 89042 pulley is a BMW."

Just curious, earlier (post #7) you mentioned that this Dayco is described "dual bearing", presumably double row. What is it? I couldn't find the answer, some sites say one, some say two. Country of origin is China, that is unequivocal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pinino, I did not see Del's concerns, they are interesting, I do think the Alfa OEM design is stronger but I think BMW uses 89042, and others, without additional spacer. See you tube below beginning at 48 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/*******v=HqfdolwQ0Ow

In post #7 I questioned "dual bearing" because of description below. I emailed Dayco for explain but no answer yet.
Dayco Mobile

The bearing in the pulley in my possession is 6005RS which I think is a single row of balls.
10 6005 RS 6005 2RS SEALED Bearings 25x47x12 | eBay

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
That youtube clip does work if you substitute "*******" for the ******** (Paul's advice).

Regarding the bearing link, that is quite a deal, TEN bearings for $15.34 with free shipping, or $1.53 per bearing. And the seller advises: "don't get get taken by purchasing the cheapest bearing to save a few cents". I don't know if I'd trust a buck fifty bearing.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
It appears this is happening with many, if not all YouTube video links. The alfabb is censoring the string of characters "watch" followed by a "?" And replacing it with ******* which disables the link. Maybe someone doesn't want YouTube links posted here? I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts