Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it is normal for idle to be somewhat "irregular" when engine is fully heater up _ ie., while stopped at a traffic light? It seem to "surge" in waves. I'm not sure I'm describing this well... any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Just wondering if it is normal for idle to be somewhat "irregular" when engine is fully heater up _ ie., while stopped at a traffic light? It seem to "surge" in waves. I'm not sure I'm describing this well... any thoughts?
I'm not sure which Alfa you have, but that is certainly not normal in a stock Alfa... All my cars have a steady idle. Alfas have different fuel management systems, so you would have to let us know what model and year is your vehicle, in order for us to be able to point you in the right direction..

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
What kind of car? As an example, a small air leak would cause the idle control valve to compensate to keep the idle stable. When the idle stables, the air leak is still present so the idle control keeps compensating. Which can cause a surge. Or something electrical like a air flow sensor, throttle position sensor thats a potentiometer may be worn. Give us more info, i'm sure many of the 164, and milano guys know whats up.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the oversight... It is a '92 Spider Veloce.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thank you guys... I'll have my mechanic go over the possible areas that might be guilty of air leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts