Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this for others who are tired of trying to blip their throttle and brake at the same time so that their carb'd engine with A/C doesn't die when slowing down or stopping.

I found this on a Camaro digest but I have no idea where to get one:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I think getting the solenoid would be easy and in fact they can be purchased from here:

Holley 46-74 - Holley Universal Throttle Solenoids - Overview - SummitRacing.com

however there are two challenges that would need to be overcome. The first is the bracketing and exactlty where and how the solenoid acts on the throttle - the second issue would be one of time lag.

After activating the AC compressor the idle may drop before rising again once the solenoid activates (or may be the reverse might be true). So if one were to overcome this issue it would be necessary to place a small 3-4 (?) second delay after the solenoid activates before the compressor turns on - it would be tricky to get the timing of these just right.

I have played with this idea and so I would be interested in hearing your ideas Biba69. Might the AC forum or the Carburettor forums be a more appropriate place to post these topics?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously the solenoid has to stay on for the duration of the compressor being on. I turn my variable switch as far as it will go, so I assume the compressor's clutch is always activated.

Yes, where to mount it is a problem. I took photos of my arrangement. I have a Shankle carb cable arrangement whereas it pulls the throttle linkage down. I've included photos.

The most logical place, though I don't know if the solenoid will fit there, is to remove the idle stop on the throttle arm and replace it with the solenoid. I guess it's a matter of buying one and then figuring out the best location and making a bracket (as required).

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts