Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you have a car with one of these, or similar, what voltage would you use to test it if it's not working? Also, what is the correct name for these units?

And if your's looks awfully similar to this one, what two (of four) contacts are the + and -?

I will add that when I (temporally) knew the correct name, I found a video for testing and the fellow used a small 9V battery on two different units. I just got through trying to get it to run with the same type of 9V battery with no success.

I just bought this one, so didn't remove it from a car. Had I, I would have cut the wires to the socket/plug and bought them together. I'd assume the wires are red and black for the power section.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's an idle stepper motor, the cone shaped bit in the bottom left of the pic is controlled electronically to move in and out. The device needs to sit in an appropriately shaped housing such that when the cone moves in, more air can pass through the now bigger orifice. The air is of course bypassing the closed throttle plate as the car is at idle. By letting more and less air into the engine, the idle speed is controlled. I'm sorry but I don't know which pin is which or what pins accept which voltage at the moment. I will be needing to investigate this though in the future, i'll probably be using one I got off some kind of Hyundai. The type I got though doesn't have the cone shaped thing, its virtually a stand alone unit with an air hose coming off each end. The idle motor in the middle modulates the amount of air that can flow through the hose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts