Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that the last time I removed and inspected the idle actuator on my 91L I could move the rotating gate. I have the actuator off again but the gate, this time, is frozen. Am I right in thinking something's wrong?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A follow up: I soaked the actuator with penetrating oil. The gate now moves but opens only about 1/8". Is this correct? It seems to me that when testing it in the past it would open fully.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
A follow up: I soaked the actuator with penetrating oil. The gate now moves but opens only about 1/8". Is this correct? It seems to me that when testing it in the past it would open fully.
Try turning it the other way?

When off there should be a gap of about 1/8", it should rotate so that this gap closes then another larger should open as you continue to rotate in the same direction.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I understand you, I should rotate it to the closed position and keep rotating in that same direction. No can do. My fault, probably. I put a burr on the edge of the vane when trying to pry it farther open with a screwdriver. I think that's catching on the lip of the actuator body. Rats!!!

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Your not alone:) Time for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,582 Posts
Yep you have to rotate it to close over that little opening and keep going until wider opening shows up on other side.

Hope you can deburr yours if that is the issue.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
I had to learn that lesson several years ago:(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hooray! I managed to scrape the burr away! The vane revolves freely as per your description. There's a small chip at the leading edge (where the burr once was) but I hope that won't affect the overall performance of the actuator. We'll see...

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
You can get a good used one from a Volvo 240/740/940 on eBay or local salvage yard. Same Bosch number O 280 140 516. If you want to have a back up they are worth picking up, cleaning and having ready to swap out.
Charles

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
As long as it is working smoothly, there's no need to replace it. It won't notice your touch up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts