Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake fluid and brake pad wear idiot lights on my '91 base have flashed on and off every once in a while for the entire 7 years that I've owned my car. On a recent trip, the two lights flickered on together and now are stuck on. All the brake lights and running lights are opperational and the switch on top of the brake fuid container is fine. I've cleaned the contacts at the brake light bulbs and made sure the connector at the brake lights control unit under the glove compartment looked good and was securely connected.

I'm about ready to just take the light bulbs out of the dash since I keep and close eye on both the brake pads and fluid level without the aid of the idiot lights.

Any other idea on where to look for the cause of this problem?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Check for broken fine wire to front brake pads for a possible candidate. Check body connector and wire where it enters pad. Jump each body connecter and see if light goes out.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Chassis connectors are where wires from brakes pad connect near where brake hoses connects to rigid lines just outside rear inner fender liners.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Maybe the brake pad wear sensor is indicating brake pad wear?

Alternately, I have been convinced that one of the brake pedal position sensors can cause this. Both of those lights can be on in our '91L, and if I kick the brake pedal a bit, they go out. If I pull the pedal back up with my toe, they come on. Check the switch position calibrations is one thing I'd recommend.

Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts