Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to get a vin decoder that makes up its mind about my Alfa. The car is supposed to be a 1985" Graduate but most vin decoders say the car is a Veloce.

We are importing this car from the US to Costa Rica and turns out if its coming up as a Veloce they will charge in excess of 2000 usd more in taxes just for that!

Anyone know of any reputable vin decoders that may realize the car is a graduate or did Alfa Romeo never intend to differenciate them by vin?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Typical signs of a Graduate, although over the years, previous owners could have done some swaps, are:

vinyl roof instead of canvas
manual windows instead of power
plain steel wheels or phone dial looking hubcaps instead of 5 star wheels
black rear view mirrors instead of body matching
no air conditioning
graduate badging on the front fenders and rear spoiler
less sportier looking seats

Based on these, does the car seem more like a Graduate or Veloce?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typical signs of a Graduate, although over the years, previous owners could have done some swaps, are:

vinyl roof instead of canvas
manual windows instead of power
plain steel wheels or phone dial looking hubcaps instead of 5 star wheels
black rear view mirrors instead of body matching
no air conditioning
graduate badging on the front fenders and rear spoiler
less sportier looking seats

Based on these, does the car seem more like a Graduate or Veloce?
Definitively a Graduate the only exception is it has A/C.

Problem with customs is that they just go by what the vin says and it says Veloce on most sites so I'm worried I'm screwed and will end up paying a lot of taxes.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Definitively a Graduate the only exception is it has A/C.

Problem with customs is that they just go by what the vin says and it says Veloce on most sites so I'm worried I'm screwed and will end up paying a lot of taxes.
That sucks!

Also, I need to make a couple corrections...
The 1985 is the earlier S3, so the mirrors are likely chrome and not plastic or body colored. Also, the sportier seats might have only started in 1986. A/C may have been an option.

Good luck!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The assigned chassis numbers range for the 1985 Spider (non-Graduate model) end in 21101-23000. The Graduate model number range is 23001-36010.
Information source is Alfa published parts microfiche #0496.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The assigned chassis numbers range for the 1985 Spider (non-Graduate model) end in 21101-23000. The Graduate model number range is 23001-36010.
Information source is Alfa published parts microfiche #0496.
THANK YOU! Do you by any chance have a scan of that microfiche or know where I can get a copy?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Hope that works out for you! Crazy tax situation - a Veloce was only a couple grand more than a Graduate when they were brand new and it's only a trim package anyhow! Now very little difference in value.

I was just looking at what I got back from Alfa many years ago and it doesn't say anything about Veloce vs Graduate. They just called it by it's Euro designation - Spider 2.0 I.E.

No point to that - just interesting to me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts