Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have gotten emails from people on how to identify a Giulia Spider Veloce. I have been telling them that of course the serial number is a good place to start. Another thing to look for is the air scoupe on the drivers side under the "eyebrow". Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Also, there should be a serial number on the trunk floor. Are there any numbers in other areas?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just giulietta and giulia in general. i feel this is an area where people tend to not know what to look for. anyone able to add to my initial post on this subject? dretceterini? anyone?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Best way for post 750 Giuliettas is the model ID plaque, but then that is the easiest to fake. You hit the intake difference. From memory, normales had Lucas electrics vs. Marelli in Veloces, Veloces had a different oil pan, Veloces had webers with a special mount that is hard to obtain to fake, veloces have different engine mounts... I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, I'll try to dig out some info I have at home tonight.

Ciao,

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently picked up a 91' Spider that may (or may not) be a Veloce. It has the upgraded 15" rims, but no A/C and the seats are leather w/ inserts instead of solid leather. How can I run the VIN and find out?

Thanks!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Hmmmmmmm.
With the Veloce's standard A/C, C/D, leather and lighted vanity mirror, no wonder it comes stock with light alloy wheels; to compensate for the added weight of the other 'go fast' Veloce stuff.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek.;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I coulda sworn that the last post was written by the General.
But with the lack of chin noogie reference I digress. ;)

Great handle Capt. Caveman! I completely forgot about that guy.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Sorry for the slightly off topic, but this is about Veloces - sort of. And I guess it's nice to know that I can still be abrasive if need be. Fortunatly, it's on very rare occasions (I think). Appologies to any S4 Veloce owners who may have been offended.
My sarcasim was to point out what, IMO, was just one of the reasons for Alfas failure in the US; absolutely horrible marketing strategy. Picture one of their magazine ads from the '80s (hand drawn like some of the ads from the '20s and '30s). A topless Spider is cruising down the beach with ocean waves breaking in the background. The gentleman's tie (tie?) is flapping gently in the breeze over his shoulder (like Snoopy's scarf). The front tires are turned at a 45 degree angle as the car plows straight ahead while his female companion is gleefully playing a violin - LEFT handed! Makes me sick.
If Alfa wants to succeed in the US, they have to change more than just their product lineup, RPO list and service/parts network.
A Veloce version of any Alfa model, to me, would NOT have A/C, P/W, leather, lighted vanity mirrors or any creature comforts; options that define a luxury model. A Veloce should weigh less and have some engine and/or suspension mods to make it faster and more nimble than the standard version. After all, isn't that what Veloce means? Fast?
Time to shut up and maybe start a new wiring diagram or something.;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Jim, I was just messing around as I do too often I'm sure. I was poking fun at the General actually.

And I do agree with your point. Maybe Alfa should've named those S4's "Spider L" or "Spider LS" ala the 164's. I also do not mean to offend any S4 owners. With progress comes more civility and creature comforts. I'm sure an S4 doesn't rattle and squeek like my Spiders did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts