Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I'm guessing it's probably a 2000 (102 series) or 1900 protoype or a car by a small coach builder like Vignale (although the Vignales I've seen look different).

What puzzles me is that the wheels look like 15" wheels and not like 400 mm as on 1900, 102 and 106 cars.

There is also the possibility that it is a brazilian FNM but I don't think they ever built a coupe (just cars on 2000 Berlina technology as can be seen here).

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruedi,

An FNM is what I would have guessed, but it was kind of an unfair question.

The car pictured is a disguised BMW Neu Klasse test car from a 1961 Road and Track.

I would say BMW was paying an indirect compliment to Alfa, for who would suspect anything is other than it seems when confronted by a zippy odd-looking Alfa.

·
Registered
69 Posts
matt
UR wrong....
Do you believe everything in print.
I like the question but the anwser is simple not true.
email me for the facts on the car(not road and track).

·
Registered
625 Posts
why don't you both post the facts and let us decide

·
Registered
87 Posts
Indeed a BMW

An extraction from 'La Revue L'Automobile' from march 1961 (n° 179)
They also claim it's a BMW prototype...

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfaman75: please post a scan of the article if you can.

If I was going to try and explain this car from a practical stand point I would say:

BMW had a Bertone 503 prototype/testcar/whathaveyou laying around and figured it would be unremarkable to see one of these rolling around, and to explain the obvious absense of a V8 exhaust note they stuck Alfa grill and badges on it. As I said in the first post, who would question the authenticity of a zippy custom Bertone built Alfa with a 4 cylinder engine, even if it bears a striking resemblance to a current Bertone bodied BMW V8 coupe. The perfect disguise really...

Anyone else care to speculate or provide some documentation?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
ha, that's funny. nice looking car, through the 'alfa' version does look a lot better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts