Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I recently found this ad online listing the car below. I plan on driving over and checking it out in person, but a couple things seem odd to me, and I would appreciate some help identifying.

I talked with the owner on the phone and he told me that this was a 1967 1750 GT Veloce.

From what I know, the grill present on the car was only featured on the 2000 GTV's and later the GT Juniors. The turn signals are also from those of a 2000 GTV and the Giulia GT 1600 Jr's... and so is the front bumper wıth the rubber guards.

The rear end however features the Veloce emblem with the smaller taillights...

When asked about my confusion with the grill, the owner told me that this was the Junior version which was ''between the 1750 and the 2000'' didn't quite understand that well...

Any way to clarify this? Thanks!

Edit: btw this car is in Europe (so certain specs would be different than US models i believe)

·
Registered
931 Posts
It's a 1750 GTV 2nd series (thus NOT a 1967), with a non original 2000 GTV grille (which fits without modification). The Veloce at the rear isn't original neither, nor is the gear knob. All other visible details fit the 1750 GTV 2nd.

The best thing to do is to ask for the type on the chassis plate (which should read 105.44), and chassis number that could be checked in the Fusi pages to be found on the site here or submitted to Alfa Romeo archivio storico.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
It's a 1750 GTV 2nd series (thus NOT a 1967),...
I agree; it appears to be a Series 2 1750 (1970-1972) with a 2l grille. OTOH, it may also be a Series 4 GT Junior with a 1750 interior or a Series 1 1750 with a hanging pedal conversion, 2l grille and a Series 2 1750 dash and bumpers. Knowing the chassis number, located on the right side of the bulkhead, would be quite helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First off, thank you to you both for your help, it clarified a lot :D but- now i'm confused again. I went to see the car today, and met with the owner- he insists that this is a 1967 1750GTV as per on the registration. I however believed it to be a Series 4 1600 Jr. The car looks exactly like one. However, when i checked the engine and the stamp code on the block it read 00548-xxxxx. Which is a 1750 GTV block code.

The mystery continues....:cool:

He told me that this car had a 1-1.5 year run like this (between the 1750 and the 2000GTV) with the present grill, tags, etc...

I couldn't get a Tipo #, but there was this stamped on the chassis block and the hood: AR1376933* Any clues?

--Aside from that, the car had cosmetic flaws, some rust on the bottom of the hood panel, and leaking some oil from the oil cooler (gasket problem?) -or it may have been the engine...i'm going to take it to a lift and check under. Also- the owner had the bottom (or underside?) sandblasted a year back... so where can i check for real rust?

Any quick ''look out for'' tips on this certain car to a soon to be alfa owner? much appreciated!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I couldn't get a Tipo #, but there was this stamped on the chassis block and the hood: AR1376933* Any clues?
Series 2 1750 GTVs, which is a model 10544 (LHD), start with chassis number 1375001. So 1376933 is consistent with the Series 2 1750 chassis numbers assigned by Alfa.

Two things though that are not consistent. One is that the vehicle is listed as a 1967 on the registration. Series 2 1750s did not start being produced until mid-1970. The 2nd is the 2l grille (which would also be incorrect for a 1967).

There is another check you may want to do. Alfa stamped the model type number on the leading edge of the trunk opening (a little bit to the left of center). It may be somewhat hard to read through the paint. Can you read and post the numbers?

EDIT: forgot to add that Alfa did not stamp chassis numbers into the hood. So it seems a bit odd to me that there are numbers there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts