Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, Hi all,
I am finishing a full restoration on a 1986 Alfa Spider Veloce, and there are two parts that I don't remember and I have not taken any pictures from the possition they were originally placed.

Thank you in advance,

Theodore

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Hello,

Sorry I cant help you with the first picture. I am sure someone will recognize that part.

However, the second part is not stock. Somebody made that part.

Here is the correct part for your '86. It should not be too hard to find.

141_4150.jpg

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Hello Theodore,

I, too, cannot place the item in your first photo, but Vin is correct in his identification of the second item as being a fabrication of the original center console support piece. Unfortunately, I don't believe he has supplied the proper photograph of the original part. Here is one for sale on ebay that shows exactly what it looks like:

1986 Alfa Romeo Veloce Inner Center Console Support AR608 | eBay

The one you have looks like it may have been made from sheet steel or aluminum stock, and I can understand why it was made. The stock plastic ones are needed to support the center console, but they are somewhat fragile and will break if any kind of weight is applied when the center console is not in place. Since most heater, AC, and transmission work requires the removal of the center console, it's easy to see how a mechanic could be tempted to or accidentally lean on the part for support once the center console has been removed.

BTW, If you don't have the plastic one, the one on ebay looks to be selling for a very reasonable price.

And if you are planning on keeping and using the fabricated metal one you have, please note that in the photograph you supplied showing it sitting on the drive shaft tunnel, you have it reversed. The two little tabs on the base (at the end with the cutout) are designed to slip into mating clips welded to the base of the tunnel, so the cutout end of your metal one needs to be forward.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Hello Theodore,

I, too, cannot place the item in your first photo, but Vin is correct in his identification of the second item as being a fabrication of the original center console support piece. Unfortunately, I don't believe he has supplied the proper photograph of the original part. Here is one for sale on ebay that shows exactly what it looks like:

The one you have looks like it may have been made from sheet steel or aluminum stock, and I can understand why it was made. The stock plastic ones are needed to support the center console, but they are somewhat fragile and will break if any kind of weight is applied when the center console is not in place. Since most heater, AC, and transmission work requires the removal of the center console, it's easy to see how a mechanic could be tempted to or accidentally lean on the part for support once the center console has been removed.

BTW, If you don't have the plastic one, the one on ebay looks to be selling for a very reasonable price.

And if you are planning on keeping and using the fabricated metal one you have, please note that in the photograph you supplied showing it sitting on the drive shaft tunnel, you have it reversed. The two little tabs on the base (at the end with the cutout) are designed to slip into mating clips welded to the base of the tunnel, so the cutout end of your metal one needs to be forward.
My apologies.

The picture I posted was from my '87.

I didnt think they were any different for an '86.

Glad you caught it.

I have never lifted the carpet. Do you think that part is under all of the models?

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
My apologies.

The picture I posted was from my '87.

I didnt think they were any different for an '86.

Glad you caught it.

I have never lifted the carpet. Do you think that part is under all of the models?

Vin
I believe there is one of these little black plastic center console support frames under the carpet (and pad) of all the S3 models/years. Not sure about the S2's, but there is a good chance that the S4's utilize the same part too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that the first part is a leftover from the parts I had send for sandblasting from the front or the rear suspension and I don't know if it should be one or two of them. The second one was under the carpet and above the underlayment when I removed the carpet but I don't remember the exact location. Everything under the carpet seemed original and that had never removed before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Theodore,

Edward,
Thanks a lot. Already bought.
Now I need information for the little one.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
It's a shim in the steering column assembly...

I should have a picture of that, I will check for you.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I can't find the picture I had in mind but Sunday I will work on my Alfas and I will try to take a picture. This spacer goes between the column and the mounting bracket on the chassis, not too far of the ignition switch. If my memory is good you should have a thin shim with a similar shape on the opposite side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I searched carefully the work shop and the parts manual and I still did not found the location of this part at the steering column or at the front or rear suspension.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is really funny. It is impressive you had noticed the two other threads. Finally, what is the conclusion? The shim is located between the alum column and the steel mount for alignment? And there is one or two of them?

Thanks a lot,

Theodore

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
It is really funny. It is impressive you had noticed the two other threads. Finally, what is the conclusion? The shim is located between the alum column and the steel mount for alignment? And there is one or two of them?

Thanks a lot,

Theodore
I've tried to see it on my 89 Spider parts car but the shim is not there. There is a standard steel washer instead. My guess would be a thin stainless shim plus your steel black shim between alu column and the steel mount. The stainless won't react with alu. It's my guess, I'm not sure of that one. How is attached your column ? Without any shim ?

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
If it is a shim/spacer, likely there is one for both mounting brackets; ie. 1 for vertical and 1 for horizontal alignment.........the column, one presumes, needs to align with the steering box mount (which itself might have shims!)
Photo borrowed from an ebay item, an 86 (...and, I am still wondering how they got it out in one piece like that!......big hacksaw maybe?)

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys thank you very much for your help. The two older threads was very helpful as well. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I believe there is one of these little black plastic center console support frames under the carpet (and pad) of all the S3 models/years. Not sure about the S2's, but there is a good chance that the S4's utilize the same part too.
Correct. The original console support is a black plastic piece very similar looking to the home fabricated aluminum job you now have. Frankly those black plastic supports are very flimsy and fragile, so it is not surprising that a previous owner made up a metal replacement. If you are not a purist and the metal support works, use it in good health. It goes under the carpet anyway, so it will never show. You are not missing anything by the lack of an original plastic support. They are pretty much junk.

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts