Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a 1600 GTV engine with the number 536*207XX. The number seems to be ~200 odd engines outside last engine in the range recorded in Fusi for 1967 (which ends in 20559).

I know that ‘536‘ 1600 engines reappeared in the 1970s, my 1974 1600 Zagato has one. However i understand the all ‘later’ engines had spin on type oil filters where as the engine I have been offered is the old style “hanging” type filter.

Can anyone help in identifying engine number 536*207XX?

Cheers
John

· Registered
6,179 Posts
Later 1600s , 536 did have a spin on oil filters as you say. The Fusi list is not without faults. Where is the s/n stamped. Later will be on exhaust side bellhouse flange. Early under carbs

Ken

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Later 1600s , 536 did have a spin on oil filters as you say. The Fusi list is not without faults. Where is the s/n stamped. Later will be on exhaust side bellhouse flange. Early under carbs

Ken
Good point.
The engine number stamp is on the carb side so it’s an early version where as my Zagato, which has a later 536 engine is stamped on the bell housing flange.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
If it helps the original engine for my Oct 67 GT Veloce is 00536*211xx

Fusi is definitely wrong in a few areas.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fusi clearly does have more than a few mistakes. Given the way Alfa stockpiled engines then haphazardly allocated them to the production line I’m not surprised about a few stray engines but it is surprising that a bunch of chassis numbers would have been missed. Very charmingly Italian!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts