Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and what they did to fix it or any ideas what may be wrong. The problem is the car starts, but will not shut off with the key. I have tried disconnecting the ignition wires and it stays running. I did get a wiring diagram from papajam (thanks again), but sadly the electrical dept is not my strong suit.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Please explain what you mean by "I have tried disconnecting the ignition wires..."
exactly what wires did you disconnect?

Without more details, I'm afraid it will be impossible to help you.

Elio

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
So is it still running? :( How did you finally get it to stop? We also need to know the year of your car to help. I've had problems with the starter motor continuing to run after the ignition switch is released on Spica injected cars and that's fairly easy to remedy with a wiring change. I've also had cars "diesel" for several seconds after turning the switch off. That's where the engine continues to run roughly for a few seconds because of excess carbon buildup in the combustion chamber that keeps burning and igniting gas even after the ignition is off. Is it running rough or smoothly after you switch it off? Does it eventually stop on its own? And yes, exactly what ignition wires did you disconnect?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry i'll try and be a little clearer. The problem is the car wont shut off. when you turn the ignition key to start- it starts normally, however when you turn the ignition key to the "off position" nothing happens, the engine continues to run normally. I have tried disconnecting the 3 wires (black,red,brown) coming from the ignition switch on the column and the engine runs normally. To shut the engine off i pull off the coil wire. One weird thing thing i noticed is that while the engine is running turning the key "off" has no effect, but after i disconnect the coil wire and the engine is off i can go to the ignition switch and turn it the "off position" and it shuts off all power as you would expect it to do under normal operation. I hope this helps to clear some confusion. Thanks

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I am guessing an 84 does not have electronic fuel injection (l Jetronic) as if it does and you stop the engine by pulling the coil HT lead, you will damage the ECUs.
You should never pull the power on a car with an ECU whilst it is running.
just a thought.....:)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
spiderseries4,

Actually, his car should have L-Jetronic injection (started in '82) but sounds like he hasn't blown the ecu yet. Would he be okay to unplug the primary coil + wire to stop the engine, or will that blow the ecu as well? My experience stops after Spica so I'm not familier with the Bosch systems. If you've already eliminated the ignition switch I'd work backwards from the coil till you find the short. Sounds like there might be a relay sticking on but I'd better let someone who knows the system step in on this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts