Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1901 - 1920 of 2605 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Very nice. This is a subjective question but do you feel that in person your car looks more like the first pictures, where the blue is saturated and feels like it even has some black in it, goes very dark in the shadows, or more like the second post where it looks maybe closer to the french racing blue, more pastel?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I´ve saturated the pics with the stickers a little, to bring out the stickers a bit more. On these pics the blue is a little stronger of course.
The blue you can see on the pics with the seats seems lighter than real, due to the photographic conditions in the sunlight .
It´s hard to tell, what it looks like in nature. It somehow depends on the situation. This colour has it all to me. It can look really sporty, like french racing blue, and also quite distinguished if you imagine the car rolling slowly up the gravel path to your villa at Lago di Como (then without the stickers of course...)...
If you ask me, in nature it "feels" more like the saturated pics, but actually it´s a little lighter.

This pic here is undone and shows the French Blue quite close to reality:
P1100787b.jpg

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Thanks, that is a very useful response! Im looking for exactly that, a color that feels sporty yet elegant, and uncommon. I had settled on biancospino but then a gp white 911 followed me home and it doesnt seem right having two white cars.

Curious if youve seen a Bertone coupe in Bluette and how it compares to french blue?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think i´ve never seen a bluette one other than pictures...
But the Bluette seems more greenish than blue to me.
If you want a blue Alfa, then there is Le Mans Blue (light), French Blue (medium) and Dutch Blue (dark).
I think Bluette sounds more blue than it is in reality...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Interesting comment. I can't say not having seen it in person. I'll need to get some sample spray-outs to be sure.

There are a lot of pictures of Bluette in this photoset, but they are all shot under an overcast northern sky

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157635647531214/

I think i´ve never seen a bluette one other than pictures...
But the Bluette seems more greenish than blue to me.
If you want a blue Alfa, then there is Le Mans Blue (light), French Blue (medium) and Dutch Blue (dark).
I think Bluette sounds more blue than it is in reality...

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I don't mean to belabor this point, but it's one of particular interest to me as my own 105.36 (Giulia Sprint Veloce) was originally blue and it took me quite a while to figure out the proper name for it.

The photos of the car in the Netherlands appears to me, to be nearly identical (hard to tell in photos) to the shade of blue on my car, which I believe to be "Medium Cobalt Blue." That said, the Dutch car, being an earlier version, 105.02, was only available in the following colors (according to d'Amico and Tabucchi's "Alfa Romeo Production Cars 1962-2007); azzurro spazio and bluette. The english translation of these colors is "Space Blue" and "Light Blue." Stating the obvious, those descriptions would indicated that the Dutch car is "Space Blue" (think, a deep, dark, nearly black shade of blue) and not "light blue."

By the time the 105.36 cars had gone in to production the shades of blue available were "bleu chiaro metallizzato," "bluette," "bleu cobalto medio," or in english, "metallic light blue," "light blue", "medium cobalt blue," and "space blue."

Here's a photo of the factory original paint on my car which I believe to be "medium cobalt blue."

IMG_1745 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Why am I confident that this color is in fact "Medium Cobalt Blue"? I had my painter mix up a small amount of paint based on the paint code for "Cobalt Blue" as listed here ALFA ROMEO PAINT CODES and the result was a perfect match for the factory paint found under my door sill covers and dashboard. This, despite the fact that are are inconsistencies regarding names and production dates on the Veloceregister's paint codes sections.

I'm interested in all thoughts, opinions, and feedback.

Ciao!
-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
846 Posts
After being of the road for a few months while I replaced all the steering components, had a wheel alignment done yesterday,
And she's back on the road,
I missed driving it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Here are some photos of my restored 1969 U.S. spec GTV. I did a bare-metal body restoration and a complete mechanical rebuild. Hope you find her pleasing.
Stunning ... so straight!
Pete

1901 - 1920 of 2605 Posts