Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2441 - 2460 of 2607 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice, how much lower is that? 3-4cm?
Thanks- about 40mm. The front has 10mm spacers while there are none in the rear. When it was finished and came down off the hoist, the guys who did the work just smiled and discussed how good it looked for about 15 mins!

·
Registered
7 Posts
1965 Giulia sprint gt

I found this Alfa setting in a farmers field 20 years ago. After bugging him for 3 months straight he finally broke down and sold it to me. It was in need of a complete restoration but had very little rust. For the first 17 years I had to be patient and finish the restoration projects I had ahead of it. I finally was able to start on it and did a nut and bolt bare metal restoration that i finished and drove for the first time on May 10th of this year. That just happens to be my birthday so it was a present well worth waiting for. It runs and drives so nice and I now drive it daily.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
now that's a birthday present, sweet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
gigem75
I was trying to post on the 105 Gt thread but I'm thinking I didn't get that accomplished. I am new to the visiting with others about the Alfa.

How do I join a thread and post some of my photos? if you don't mind giving a rookie some tips or help. I apologize that my message came through as a direct reply to you. Thank you for replying though.

I am interested in being more involved with this forum and the conversations so any tips would be appreciated.

yes! It was an exceptional birthday present. It took me a little over 2 years to finish but that was on a part time basis fitting it in here and there between other restorations I was doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ranz
It seems you have the same taste as well in vehicles. That's very nice! I like the paint work too. I have never applied a semi gloss or flat paint on any of the vehicles I have restored but I am sure it wont be long before I do. I really like the look when its done right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned 2 GTV's one a 73 and the other a 74. ( I hold an SCCA soloII track record in the 73) and the 1 Giulia Sprint GT and they were all red. So I enjoy seeing them in any other color. That silver blue is beautiful and looks very nice on the GT.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
What great taste in cars, you have, Giovanni64...
(Post 2447)

This one is a 67 GTV

5 years from basket case to daily driver. Daily smiles. First stood on its wheels again on its 50th birthday.
What paint colour and finish it that. It has a mat look to me in the picture and i like it.

Ken

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Kengta,
"What paint finish and colour?" (My car, in post 2453)

Well, admission time...
There were a couple of choices for AR501 from my paint supplier. One styled "Alfa Rosso" and one "Rosso Alfa", based on different years in the 60s. I picked the second one and this was the result. The colour rendering in the pic shown is pretty accurate to the real-life finish (no tricks of the light). I THINK it may be a GTA colour, but am really not sure. Maybe just a mixing mistake. No codes on the tin, just Rosso Alfa.

At the time, it was only meant as a temporary top coat while I progressively cut-and-welded in new metal, until I chose a final colour.

Regardless, it is lighter than the original darker 501 (more orange, perhaps), but I like it, and just about everybody who sees it likes it too.

Matt finish? Yes, but this started as a mistake - blowing too much air as I sprayed, the single stage acrylic simply went on far too dry...but I decided I really liked that too, and (again) just about everybody else does too, even those with super-glossy cars. The 'suede' texture is therefore as it came off the gun, untouched.

So, I will be doing my level best to keep it this way. From what I gather, there are a couple of ways to do that: either use a tinted primer as your colour base, and/or clear coat with talc in to negate the shine, but I'm a babe in the woods there. The hot-rod crowd have been doing it for years, but I've seen it done on a grey/red 250 Ferrari too, and it looked gorgeous.

So at the moment, the finish has held up for 3-4 years, but I can't afford to polish it or the effect will be lost.

As a side benefit, the blemishes in my amateur panel work are harder to spot, I'm not spending a cent on polish ( :-/ ) and touch-ups should be a relative doddle.

I'm sorry if those aren't the clear answers you wanted to hear, but thanks for the positive comments (giovanni64 too).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kengta,
"What paint finish and colour?" (My car, in post 2453)

Well, admission time...
There were a couple of choices for AR501 from my paint supplier. One styled "Alfa Rosso" and one "Rosso Alfa", based on different years in the 60s. I picked the second one and this was the result. The colour rendering in the pic shown is pretty accurate to the real-life finish (no tricks of the light). I THINK it may be a GTA colour, but am really not sure. Maybe just a mixing mistake. No codes on the tin, just Rosso Alfa.
On the subject of AR501 versions anybody have any idea what this one is ?
IMG_1434.jpg

2441 - 2460 of 2607 Posts