Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2608 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nice to see these, she's a beauty!

Might have to post some of my lightweight grp GTA replica one of these days... I put some on the main ABB pics page but I don't think I have on this thread....
No time like the present :wink2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK, here goes, I've rounded up a few pics....

Started out as a very rusty 1971 1750 mk2, re-bodied in grp as a wide-body GTA Junior replica by Ian Ellis Classic Alfa - she now weighs in at about 850 kilos...

Engine was already a 2000 with C&B cams so I've just added a 123 and Alfaholics stainless exhaust...

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice one Simon!
Here's a few of my own "GTA-P" P for Plastica as all the outer panels are GRP, lots of lightweight parts, the mission was to build as light a car as possible yet still be road-legal. It measured 700kg on a weighbridge & is fitted with a 2.0 Twinspark on throttle bodies.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
Two beauties, well done on both Ian, your silver car at 700 kgs is very, very light, I didn't go the whole hog with the lightweight suspension parts which must make a difference. We've estimated mine to be between 800 and 850.
Congrats to you both,
Steve

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
So with these exterior panels being plastic has 'she' lost any rigidity?

I would have thought the rear guards working with the inner arches would account for a lot of the shell strength ... ??
Pete

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not in the slightest, my car is the third GRP clad one I've driven, and they feel just as taught as the original. Bob Wright, who did my shell, (and who has built around 50 like this over the last 40 years,) increases rigidity by welding in a 4" top hat steel section at sill height between the bottom of the A post and the front of the rear wheel arch. Cornering fast on bumpy roads feels just as good as the original
Steve

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
OK, Ian (post 2048), your car looks like a seamless fusion of GRP and metal. I like it.

As the owner of a car which needs a new nose, door and tail in order to be 'right', you have renewed my interest in the GRP thing as a solution...especially considering the weight loss.

As much as I Lurve the GTAm wheels, the big arches they dictate makes it look like those cars spent too much time in the Gym for my taste, at least for a road car. I don't wish to 'diss' that look, coz it is still nice, but on balance, the semi-standard GTA style you have adopted suits me more - have you detailed your build, including GRP panel sources anywhere on the BB or elsewhere?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's a two litre with less than a thousand miles, Piper 285/2 camshafts, well ported cylinder head, 40 DCOE's re-jetted and choked to suit, 10.6 : 1 CR, polished & balanced bottom end, GTA exhaust, 123 distributor, lightened flywheel, rebuilt gearbox, lsd, all new.
Not been on the rollers yet, but would expect min 165bhp,
Steve
And it looks like she is for sale now as well, is that true Steve? I saw her on Car & Classic today. Lot of car for not too much money.

·
Registered
841 Posts
And it looks like she is for sale now as well, is that true Steve? I saw her on Car & Classic today. Lot of car for not too much money.
Yes Nigel, very, very sadly to make way for a new project. I only wish I had the space to keep them all !
But I have a list of cars to own before I get too decrepit, and time is running out .....

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Started out as a very rusty 1971 1750 mk2, re-bodied in grp as a wide-body GTA Junior replica by Ian Ellis Classic Alfa - she now weighs in at about 850 kilos...

Engine was already a 2000 with C&B cams so I've just added a 123 and Alfaholics stainless exhaust...
I've had a passenger ride round Castle Coombe in this car and it is fantastic (despite the 916 GTV seats ;) )

Here's a few of my own "GTA-P" P for Plastica as all the outer panels are GRP, lots of lightweight parts, the mission was to build as light a car as possible yet still be road-legal. It measured 700kg on a weighbridge & is fitted with a 2.0 Twinspark on throttle bodies.
Not been in this one but seen it at Ian's workshop and it is a beautiful car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Lovely stepnose man! Where in Norway do you live?
I'm living in Oslo but my Alfa stayed behind in Portugal. I use it for trackdays and roadtrips when I go back on vacations.

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK, Ian (post 2048), your car looks like a seamless fusion of GRP and metal. I like it.

As the owner of a car which needs a new nose, door and tail in order to be 'right', you have renewed my interest in the GRP thing as a solution...especially considering the weight loss.

As much as I Lurve the GTAm wheels, the big arches they dictate makes it look like those cars spent too much time in the Gym for my taste, at least for a road car. I don't wish to 'diss' that look, coz it is still nice, but on balance, the semi-standard GTA style you have adopted suits me more - have you detailed your build, including GRP panel sources anywhere on the BB or elsewhere?
Hi Ranz, you can see a summary of the build on my website here: Alfa GTA replica progress
The panels are from Bob Wright in the North East of the UK but they needed a lot of block work to make them smooth & ripple-free. The panels were riveted & bonded to the steel with panel bonding adhesive by Teroson (claimed to be as strong as welding!) and the shell had extra stiffening & (in carefully selected areas) some seam welding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So with these exterior panels being plastic has 'she' lost any rigidity?

I would have thought the rear guards working with the inner arches would account for a lot of the shell strength ... ??
Pete
We added a roll cage to mine to help with rigidity, and add a measure of side protection (grp doors)... she feels extremely rigid...

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Here's my 1750 GTV Mk II, 1971 car. I'll post more details about her background and what I've had done to her in a separate thread.
Stunning. The twin of my car. Must not show yours to my wife as she really, really, really wants me to paint mine red.
Pete

2041 - 2060 of 2608 Posts