Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I recently joined your ranks and purchased a lovely '91 Spider Veloce. I haven't yet taken my own pictures of it but this is exactly what it looks like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Alfa_romeo_spider_serie4_closed.jpg

This is the first time I've seen another model with the exact color I have.
Would love to know how many were produced at the time with this color.

I need to do some preventative maintenance (belts, hoses, filters etc.) and know there are a number of retail places online where I can buy parts. I'm just trying to determine the best place to buy based upon price, quality, return policy etc.

I also want to immediately replace both rear tail lights.

I must say that I have been reading this board for several weeks and am very impressed with the level of knowledge and the amount of info that is so readily available out here. [My list of questions is coming trust me :) ]
Because of your insights, I feel I was far more informed about the purchase of this car, than any new car I've bought to date. I'm looking forward to joining the frey.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I think you'll find prices are all pretty similar. I tend to use IAP cause I get the stuff in 2 days.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
congratulations -

rare color - i havent seen that color in a while - actually only in pictures.

regarding the tailights i bought mine from alfissimo. ask for jason. cool guy, good prices.

they are aftermarket but the fit and finish are great.

i will try and post pics of them this weekend.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Michael -

Depending on what you are looking for, youmay need to source out your orders via multiple vendors. I have used IAP for many of my needs and must tell you that the service, shipping and great return policy do it for me.

I have utilized centerline as well with good results. For the basic belts, hoses etc... I would probably stick with IAP.

Good luck to you!!

Jeff

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
i replaced my tail lights because one was the european model and the other was the american model with the white stripe. why do a lot of spiders have it this way?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Michael,
I've used IAP, Centerline and Di Fatta. I would not recomend Di Fatta. The others are excellent choices.
ARDEN

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have used all the above and have had good luck with all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Michael,

I have had good luck with IAP, Centerline and Vick's as well as Alfa Parts Exchange. Prices do vary and often IAP is the highest but they have a very good site and have great selection. Vick's even found a very good used part saving me some $. I also used Paul Spruell for a new clutch kit.

Enjoy the new car

·
Registered
138 Posts
IAP offers the tail lamps in a matched set. All of the vendors mentioned can supply you with parts. IAP probably has the best return policy and fastest shipping to you. Sometimes the others have the harder to get parts but for a late car like yours you shouldn't have much trouble.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I find IAP web shopping the best of them all - prices are about equal. I spread my shopping around, I WANT ALL OF THEM TO REMAIN IN BIZ.
Also add Bruce Parts Bin in NJ to the list.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
IAP and Centerline have been fine. Centerline has a $25 minimum order policy, whic sometimes rules them out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
u know what else makes IAP work for me is that their shoppingcart is persistent and cookied. meaning that you can work on your shoppingcart for weeks until youre ready to buy. their stuff literally leaves the door within 24 hours of ordering...not even amazon can pull that off.

my only gripe was that when talking to them on the phone, they werent very informative.

then they give you 120days no-questions-asked returns without even restock fees! again, not even amazon pulls that off.

they really are remarkable for ANY online retailer.

·
Premium Member
14,569 Posts
I am surprised by the negative feedback for DiFatta Brothers. I like dealing with them. They are extremely knowlegeable and they are more likely to supply OEM and less likely to sell aftermarket parts. I still use the UK suppliers, particularly Highwood Alfa, but the weak dollar has made them less competitive. I have never received a wrong part from a UK supplier.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider Veloce
88 Milano Verde

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I feel real lucky to have the selection of parts suppliers and the quick availability of parts. I remember back in 1972 when I was without the heater (defroster) hose for my Alfa and had to wait 3 weeks for the local "Foreign parts store" to get it. It of course was in February, the coldest month of the year and I had to scrape the inside of the windows to get the ice off. :(

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I've been using Highwood regularly, and have been very satisfied with their selection, pricing and shipping. Lately, pricing has been less favorable bc of the exchange, but still more or less competitive. Mailing used to be super quick, but somehow Royal Mail has become slower. Have not had the best experience with Centerline, I don't like theri web site, hard to navigate, and I believe you have to call them to order, which I simply don't like. IAP is super fast, but I have found their selection to be a little less on some harder to find parts for older cars

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
I've used IAP, Centerline and Alfa Parts Exchange (APE) with good service from each. I like IAP's web site best (Centerline's has improved recently).

I like being able to call a toll-free number and talk to a knowledgable human - which has been my experience with Centerline and APE.

The only gaffe I had with IAP was when my wife ordered an item for a Christmas gift for me. She said she made it perfectly clear (over the phone) that this was a gift item - even arranging to have it shipped to a friend's house. IAP then sent me an email letting me know the item had been shipped...!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like Centerline, Vicks, and IAP. Last Christmas my wife ordered me parts from Centerline & IAP.(She thinks boring, I think great) I recieved an email from IAP that my parts were on the way too. I thought it was funny. --B

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I like being able to call a toll-free number and talk to a knowledgable human
Assuming (of course) that the people you talk to, know more than you. I'd sooner just check off a box & not talk to anyone. I'll then just wait for delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Welcome to the BB, Michael. You're doing exactly the right thing by getting to know your new Spider's mechanicals. You'll find that you will enjoy it even more knowing what makes it tick and potentially save a lot of money by doing a lot of routine maintenance yourself.

Make sure you check the Suppliers' List thread under "Anything about Alfas" topic. I'd also highly recommend that you get a copy of the Alfa Repair Manual, either through a paper copy or CD.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts