Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I could really use some help. I inherited an 86 Alfa Spider Veloce from my late father. Recently needed to pull the head for a new gasket and I am having issues timing the cams. I see from all his papers that he purchased the International Auto Parts High-Performance Cams Part #92644. I don't have the original timing sheet but I do have the original information from the IAP sales catalog (see attached). I called centerline auto who purchased International Auto but they didn't save any of this documentation. So it seems to be lost with their merger and my father.

I attempted to time the cams but it is running poorly. Does anyone know the timing of these cams, or have a copy of the timing sheet? Or is anyone able to interpret the lobe centers from the attached catalog screenshot? It is very confusing with the 4 different numbers and the *at idle and above 1650 RPM. Assume this has to do with the VVT. Does anyone know which is the intake and exhaust timing to use?

Thank you,
James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The static lobe centers are 118 intake and 102 exhaust. Those are the factory LCs for the later cars with the solenoid actuated VVT on the intake cam. The second set of numbers, 98 and 102, describes the LCs above 1650 rpm. The VVT device advances the intake cam 20 degrees.

To set LCs, rotate the crankshaft to TDC, that is, set the "P" mark on the crankshaft pulley at the pointer and install the cams so that the marks on on the cams align with the marks on the front two bearing caps with the lobes for the number one cylinder pointing out. It is likely you will need to "adjust" the cams to align the marks. If you can post a picture or two showing the cam timing marks in relation to the marks on the bearing caps at TDC #1, we can provide additional commentary.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Also make sure that motor is on intake top dead center for piston #1 and front cam lobes are pointed away from center of motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts