Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having it sit on my workbench for a year, I finally got around this week to installing the IAP headlight wiring upgrade on my '92 Spider. Of course, when I open the box there are no instructions and you can't download them from the non-existent IAP website. Centerline said they would look around for me, but researching the sticky, Tifosi's wiring diagram and a YouTube video I think I have it figured out. But before I do something stupid if folks could confirm my understanding it would be really, really appreciated!

Here is what I have gleaned from the forum:

-Disconnect battery
-Mount relays (have seen some good spots on thread posts)
-Plug two female connectors on cable to mounted relays
-Unplug headlight connector behind one of the headlights and plug the male headlight side connector into the female connector on the wiring upgrade. On same end/side of the wiring upgrade, plug the female connector from the firewall side of the old headlight wiring into the male connector on the wiring upgrade
-Route wiring upgrade nicely under radiator, secure with zip ties and plug male headlight side connector into female wiring upgrade connector
-Tape up and secure old female firewall side connector for second headlight
-Find a good ground for both the ground wires off the wiring upgrade; possible to use mounting screw on headlight buckets but have seen recommendations to get to a better ground on the frame
-Connect both ring terminals on fused leads of wiring upgrade to alternator
-Remove one of each of the two high and low beam fuses
-Make sure everything is neatly mounted/zip tied for a clean appearance and safety
-Reconnect battery
-Test

Am I missing anything? I presume it doesn't matter which headlight gets the connection back to the firewall?

Once done this if the Centerline order shows up the other project this weekend is the clutch pivot....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm actually super confused.. Why would a 1992 model require headlight relays? I would assume (and I'm constantly making and *** out of you and me) that it already HAS relays. I would have expected the relay fix for the headlight switch to have died off with the last of the l-jets.... Maybe its an incorrect thought based on how *new* the 1992 model was electrically compared to the older models, such as my carbureted 197685.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair question and one that I don't know the answer to (other than another S4 owner had posted about doing the upgrade so I presumed I was on the right track). You are now prompting me to check the wiring to see if i am making a redundant upgrade! Unfortunately the wiring diagram for the S4 in the service manual doesn't bear any resemblance to reality so this will have to be a manual trace....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I put the IAP dual headlamp kit into my '91 Spider . I forget if I was directed by the instructions, but I connected to the harness for the driver's side and ran their wiring over to the passenger's side. Same was done for a 4-headlight kit.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
BTW, on the S4 it's actually somewhat easier to just splice relays into the existing system rather than to use the IAP kit. You can pull power from the +12 lug on the left side of the engine compartment, and the headlight wiring runs right by there: you can just splice into the wires and mount the relays right there.

You don't get the advantage of the larger wiring in the kit, but this works well to cut the load to the switch and brighten the lights anyway. Plus it's a cleaner overall install.

·
Senior Moment
146 Posts
HDB - like you, I have one sitting on the shelf - put to the end of the list while some other items were being sorted. But my luck was better than yours, the instructions were included and I still have them. I can make a copy for you if you tell me how I can get it to you.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Headlight Wiring w relays

Looks like you have it figured out, but these might be helpful to you or the next guy. I believe these files are from alfabb threads, don't know who to credit them to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Ma che ca**o Antonio - ci siamo scordato i rilais! Pensi che gli serviranno??
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Ma nooo, che ca**o li farano con i rilais!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone...i am anew user here. As per my knowledge it is HAS relays. I would have expected the relay fix for the headlight switch to have died off with the last of the l-jets. Maybe its an incorrect thought based on how *new* the 1992 model was electrically compared to the older models.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
None of the Spiders, including your '92, came with headlight relays from the factory.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I think a lot of folks would be surprised how many vehicles of that era lacked headlight relays. It was not just because Alfa was (supposedly) behind the times.

Heck, our 2000 Dodge Caravan had headlight wiring so light that it could almost pass for phone wire. And an airflow meter on its 3.3 liter V6 smaller than the one on my 2 liter S4 Spider!

BTW the IAP headlight relays I installed years back on my '91 Spider was the single best low-buck improvement I ever did on that Alfa. Talk about better illumination...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I would also like to install the IAP headlight relays, does anyone know where they can be purchased? Or perhaps suggest something similar?

One of the sealed beams is not working so rather than buy another I thought I would upgrade to Hella 7" Halogen Headlights...found on ebay.

I guess installing these will need the relay kit.

Thanks,
Claudio

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
headlight relays- where to buy

Hi, I would also like to install the IAP headlight relays, does anyone know where they can be purchased? Or perhaps suggest something similar?

One of the sealed beams is not working so rather than buy another I thought I would upgrade to Hella 7" Halogen Headlights...found on ebay.

Thanks,
Claudio
Vick Autosports has relay kits listed in their catalog, but I don't see it on their website. Anyway, it's not difficult to set up relays for your headlights, like is described here. There's another method that places them inside the car close to the fusebox. If you do a Google search on Alfa Romeo headlight relays, and select the Alfa BB links, you'll find a ton of information and choices on how to do this. Just use good quality relays, like Bosch.

I have used these Posi-Lock wire taps and connectors, also, and they're much better than the cheap snap-on wire taps that cut through the insulation and wire strands:

https://www.posi-products.com/

·
Registered
152 Posts

Thanks,
Claudio
Check eBay. I just saw one of the IAP kits there recently.

·
Registered
308 Posts
HDB - like you, I have one sitting on the shelf - put to the end of the list while some other items were being sorted. But my luck was better than yours, the instructions were included and I still have them. I can make a copy for you if you tell me how I can get it to you.
Could you send a copy to me? Maybe scan and email it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts