Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bit the bullet and bought an aluminum coolant expansion tank for my "new" '83 GTV6 since the one that was in it was leaking.... Had to drill a couple of new holes to attach it since it did not quite line up the stock mounting holes. Got it in and filled up the coolant per the service manual. While the engine was warming up things seemed to be going pretty good until the temperature got up to about 180 degs and then the coolant started spurting from the clear plastic "sight gauge". The tank did not come with any hose clamps on the sight gauge tubing. I added some and will check it out in the morning to see if that fixes things but just wanted to see if anyone thinks I am missing something? I bought a new radiator cap to go with it and it says .7 on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have one of these on my GTV6, have for years and never had an issue with the tube for the sight glass. I wonder if you could get a smaller diameter clean plastic tube to use? Hose clamps would work too. I am assuming it was coming out between the clear tube and the brass fitting and not the brass fitting and the aluminum tank...

Either way it looks great!!!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Sam it was spraying out between the hose and the fitting. The clear plastic is the same stuff you get at the hardware store for fitting to brake caliper bleed screws when you bleed the brakes. When it got hot it was very pliable and probably expanded a bit. The pressure of the system just overcame the whole thing.

Is it possible that something is causing my system to over pressurize? The cap is a pressure cap and did not release but then it wouldn't if the plastic sight gauge connection were the weak part I guess.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would guess it is a simple leak between the hose and fitting, maybe just bad hose, try to get more hose from the hardware store and give it a shot.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've had one in my v6 for something like 6 years with never a problem, when I first got it I looked at the tube, and thought it might be a problem but it never has been an issue.

I wonder if IAP or their supplier changed the source on the tubing? Would be worth calling them to see what they know because if yours has the problem the chances are others do...

G

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hose clamps seemed to work pretty good for now. I also discovered that the radiator fan temperature sensor was bad so it was eventually going to overheat. The increased temperature, over what would be normal, may have lead to increased pressure and caused the leak. The problem for me is I thought that was were the pressure relief cap would have worked instead of blowing out the "sight gauge" tubing connection.

I will definitely be giving IAP a call tomorrow to see what they have to say. The weak point in the system shouldn't be that tubing.

Now if I can get Sam, or G to disconnect their radiator fan and overheat their engine to see if we can duplicate the problem I would really have my answer....;);)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now if I can get Sam, or G to disconnect their radiator fan and overheat their engine to see if we can duplicate the problem I would really have my answer....;);)
Ha - ha :p - no that's the reason I had the radiator rodded, a new switch and the Canton! And, never a problem since...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had a fan go bad and and the car ran hot, but not into the red, and it did not leak, so that may help you out some. Call IAP...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts